Team SoCalHiker is climbing Mount Baldy again as part of the annual Climb for Heroes fundraiser for The Heroes Project, and we want you to join us!
Every year since 2015, we’ve gathered at the base of the Mt Baldy Ski Resort along with hundreds of other SoCal outdoor-lovers to hike up Mount San Antonio — aka Mount Baldy.
This annual fundraiser supports The Heroes Project, a non-profit that makes the impossible a reality by empowering our injured community through physical and emotional training, allowing them to explore the farthest reaches of themselves and the world they live in. These expeditions challenge the severely wounded to redefine their personal limits post injury. The Heroes Project inspires our injured men and women to find purpose, both physically and mentally, and ignites others to do the same.
On Saturday, November 12, 2022 (Veteran’s Day weekend) we will gather and hike Mount Baldy, celebrating our love for the outdoors, having fun, earning swag, and doing good for the community.
Two ways you can help
- Register for Climb for Heroes, either as an individual or as part of Team SoCalHiker. You’ll be raising money for a great cause, and there will be food and prizes from the event sponsors. There will be five “camps” setup along the route, so you can hike part of the trail or go all the way to the summit.
- Contribute – If you can’t join us on the hike up Mount Baldy, chip in! Donations are tax-deductible. If you choose to help, consider helping one of the Team SoCalHiker members reach their $125 fundraising minimum.
How it works
- When you register, you’ll be asked if you want to sign-up as an individual or part of a team. Either way is fine, but we hope you’ll join Team SoCalHiker.
- Fundraising – Also at sign-up, you’ll be asked to make an initial donation of $25, and commit to raising a minimum of $125 (set by The Heroes Project…there are prizes for the top fundraisers). You’ll get your very own fundraising page that you can share with your friends, family and co-workers, and their contributions on your behalf will go towards your fundraising minimum.
- You’ll get email updates from The Heroes Project on when to show up, what to bring and other details. I will also be sending out emails just to Team SoCalHiker members with specific info on swag, where and when to meet, and more.
- The hike itself follows a well-marked, defined route. You’ll be hiking alongside hundreds of other participants, and there are five “camps” along the route to the summit. You collect a coin at each camp you visit, and then can redeem the coins for swag like hats, t-shirts and more. Some people hike just to The Notch. Many hike to the beginning of the Devil’s Backbone. And those who are truly ready can hike all the way to Camp 5 at the summit.
- Afterwards, The Notch will be open with food and beverage available to purchase. You can hike back down to the start, or take the chairlift down.
If you’re registered for the SoCal Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge, this peak can also count towards completing your challenge!
Sign-up for the Climb for Heroes and I will see you on November 12th!
What’s the Climb for Heroes all about?