Bergen Peak in the Jefferson County Open Space is a short 30 minutes from Denver. At an elevation of 9,708′ it provides a good view of Mount Evans to the west, as well as a good portion of the front range.
Getting to the Trailhead
The trail begins at the Elk Meadow Park trailhead on Stage Coach Boulevard, just north of the town of Evergreen (map). Most of the trail is within the Jefferson County Open Space, but a portion crosses into neighboring Bergen Peak Wildlife Area, where hunting is allowed in season. There is a restroom a short distance from the parking lot, but no other facilities on this trail. Bring your own water.
Hiking to Bergen Peak
The trail begins at the north end of the parking lot. At about 0.3 miles, take a left at the junction to follow the Meadow View Trail.
After another 0.6 miles, bear left again to take the Bergen Peak Trail. This climbs close to the ridge line before veering north.
Bear left again at the final trail junction with the Too Long Trail and the final mile to the summit.
You can take the same route back, or if you want to extend the hike, take the Too Long Trail back down toward the meadow and back to the beginning.
Bergen Peak Trail Map & Elevation Profile
Bergen Peak Tips & Resources
- Bergen Peak is a Colorado Mountain Club Classic. For more details, check out Colorado Summit Hikes for Everyone (affiliate link).
- Dogs are allowed, on leash. There’s also an off-leash dog park in a meadow south of the parking lot.
- The trail is shared with mountain bikes and equestrians. Hikers yield to horses and bikers yield to both, although it’s often more courteous to allow bikers to pass, especially when they’re climbing. We came across one couple biking and no horses on our hike.
- Get the latest on the trail at the official Elk Meadow Park website.
- After the hike, grab a burger at the Little Bear Saloon & Restaurant in Evergreen. The stage at this old-time western venue has hosted John Denver, Willie Nelson and many others.
Bergen Peak Weather Forecast
Thursday 03/21 40%
Chance of Snow
Snow showers early. Lows overnight in the low 30s.
Friday 03/22 60%
Cloudy with periods of snow during the afternoon. High around 40F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
Saturday 03/23 0%
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 43F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
Sunday 03/24 70%
Chance of Rain
A mix of clouds and sun in the morning will give way to cloudy skies and light rain during the afternoon. High 41F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
The Colorado Rockies Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge
Bergen Peak is part of the Colorado Rockies Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge, a self-paced hiking challenge that takes you up six, iconic peaks–each one a bit higher and tougher.
It’s a challenge in itself, or great training for still bigger adventures. Learn more and sign-up here.
Originally hiked on June 27, 2017.
Thanks to Bryan Martin of Big City Mountaineers for joining me on this hike.