Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Which of the 6 should I do in July/August?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    barbcatlin
    Participant

Hi all 6 pack hikers,

We have done San Jacinto and Baldy already. I’m trying to figure out the next of the 6 pack to do in July/August. Wouldn’t Mt. Wilson be too hot this time of year? We are spreading out the hikes for a year – unfortunately, we didn’t see this site until yesterday! My friend teaches in the Fresno area, so she is going to come down to hike a different peak throughout her school breaks. We won’t be doing the higher elevation climbs in the winter – thought we’d save Mt. Wilson for the later Fall. I’m not into winter condition hiking – no interest in getting stuck in the snow:) So…what do you suggest?

We did Baldy yesterday – awesome hike! Thanks for the info.
    Barb and Sandi (SOS)

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Barb and Sandi!

Most of these peaks you can hike in the summer, but you’ll need to start early (6 or 7am) and be smart about it (know the forecast). I hiked Mt Wilson on 7/24, starting around 7am. Because it’s got good shade most of the way, it was okay, though on our way back down it was definitely on the hot side, partly due to the unusual humidity last week.

Cucamonga is one that I’d also watch the heat for, as the switchbacks up the final 1000 vertical gain are pretty exposed, and it’s not as tall as Baldy.

Generally, you’ll want to start as early as possible, and use common sense about the weather forecast. If it’s going to be in the 90’s or 100’s I might choose something with more shade or not quite as long.

You also have to consider the sun itself. Even though the air temperature on San Gorgonio might not be that hot, the sun can be pretty brutal. There is a lot of exposure on the top third of the trail, and the sun just beats down on you.

One other option to consider is breaking it up as an overnight. I hiked San Gorgonio last August as an overnight backpack trip.

And finally, be safe above all else. Know when it’s time to turn around, and remember that the mountain will still be there tomorrow.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.