Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Campfire What's on your hiking bucket list?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I’ve thru-hiked the John Muir Trail–twice! Both trips were epic trips of a lifetime. And they whet my appetite for adventure. On my hiking bucket list? I started with a few listed here. Since then, the list has grown.

Here’s my current hiking bucket list:

Rim-to-Rim in the Grand Canyon. It’s close enough to drive there in a day, and so I really don’t have any excuse not to do this… other than the need for permits. Maybe this fall?

100 miles on the Via Alpina in Switzerland. I read about this in Backpacker magazine and it sounds awesome. And… you hike from village to village, sleeping in a bed at night. Those Europeans know how to backpack! Planning for summer of 2014.

The Camino de Santiago in Spain. This is fairly easy trek, but long (~500 km). Sleeping in a hostel each night and eating a hot meal (prepared by someone else) with a glass of wine? Icing on the cake. 2016.

The Coast-to-Coast Trail across England. Roughly the same length of the John Muir Trail (~200 miles), but without the altitude or vertical gain/loss. And again, you stay in an inn each night. Are you sensing a trend? 2018.

There are others, but this is enough for the next five years. Other than the rim-to-rim hike, these will anywhere from two to four weeks apiece, which is why we plan every other year. On the alternate years, it’s different kind of trip. For instance, in 2010 we spent 3 weeks on the JMT, then in 2011 we spent 3 weeks in Paris. See? Different, but in a good way.

So what’s on your hiking or backpacking bucket list?

Josh

I am planning on doing 100km of the Camino in May, wish I could do more but that is the most currently with vacation time, super excited though

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

That’s AWESOME, Josh! I totally get the time issues though. When we did the JMT back in 2010, that was the longest vacation I had ever taken since I was 18. And that was, um, a fews years ago. We did another 3 week trip in 2011, so I’m starting to set the precedent. Maybe I should go for 4 weeks?

Can’t wait to hear all about it. Keep me posted!

ADKinLA

There are many, many trails on the ol list. The JMT is high up there. As is the Lost Coast Trail in NorCal, I really want to do that one.

Further afield is the classic W track in Patagonia and one I just found out about that I would love to do one day, the English Mountains in Labrador, Canada.

When any of this will happen is a matter of some conjecture but I am hoping to do the Cali ones at least in the next few years.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey ADKinLA, I forgot about the Lost Coast trail. That’s on my list, too.

As for when? I highly recommend putting some dates out there, even if you end up adjusting them. Having a plan… something to shoot for really helps. In fact, I first started thinking about hiking the JMT for a second time back in 1999. The year 2000 would be the 20th anniversary of the first time I hiked the JMT, and both my sons were interested in doing it, and had the time (summer off from high school). The problem was that I was working for a dot-com startup and couldn’t get the time off. We still took a great backpacking trip up in the Thousand Island Lake area, but my dream of re-hiking the JMT had to wait.

Fast forward to 2009, and the 30th anniversary approached. This time around, it happened. I got the permits, setup a training plan (and stuck to it), recruited three others to join me (including the gal who later became my wife!), and in the summer of 2010, almost 30 years to the day from the first time I hiked it, we completed the JMT.

Planning is key, especially for some of the bigger, longer (and more costly) adventures. Realistically, you have to start serious work on it about a year in advance. And if you have a lot of hikes on that bucket list, you can see how you’ve got to think WAY ahead.

The Lost Coast is not so long though– maybe this summer!?

Derek (100 Peaks)

I was hoping to hike Norway this summer, but my hiking partner blew out his ACL and is currently in rehab. So I will be visiting the Sierras to bag a 14er.

So Norway next summer, Patagonia after that. The JMT is on my list, but, like everyone else, it’s hard to use up an entire year’s worth of vacation when you have a family. The West Coast Trail in BC. Plenty of summits. I’d like to do more state high points and maybe 2-3 of the seven summits.

My huge bucket list is on pinterest: http://pinterest.com/100peaks/outdoors-bucket-list/

It’s way longer than might be possible in a lifetime, but I’ll see what I can do.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Thanks for joining the discussion, Derek!

Norway? Is there a particular trail or mountain you will be hiking? I have to admit I’m ignorant about the opportunities there, and you’re the first person I know who’s mentioned it.

I have a friend who completed the Seven Summits two years ago… with his FATHER! That’s epic. I don’t have any aspirations to do all seven, but it might be fun to do a few of them.

I checked out your bucket list. If you did one per year, you’d be an old man by the time you finished. Better get crackin’!

Derek (100Peaks)

Regarding Norway: There are beautiful fjord hikes and, of course, the high point. Looks incredible.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/What-to-do/Active-holiday/Hiking-in-Norway/

http://english.turistforeningen.no/

Wayne Fenton (@DukeSilas)

I might as well pitch in with my adventures for the rest of 2013 and 2014.

Me and my wife leave for South America on the 5th Nov and will be doing the W route in the Torres del Paine this November followed by the Lares trek next April (an alternative to Machu Pichu).

We return to the UK in May and will be completing the UK coast to coast with a tent! This is our first training hike in preparation for the JMT. As Jeff said, it’s a similar length to the JMT without all the height gain/loss, although don’t be mislead in thinking the Lake Disctrict section isn’t going to be hard! We’ll be doing it East-West though as it leaves the lakes segment to last.

After the C2C we head over to Chamonix in France to do the Tour du Mont Blanc. This is a multiday hike around the Mont Blanc massive that is 110 miles long and see some stunning scenery. This will also help us with our JMT preparation especially within an alpine environment.

After this we head over to the USA to get on the JMT. After our previous hikes this should be an enjoyable trip as any niggles/kit issues have already been sorted previously so we can concentrate on the journey itself. With a bit of luck I may get to see a bear…….from distance and not due to carelessness!!

….and after this we have more time in the USA (National Parks & day hikes), followed by a (possible) trip to New Zealand to spend a couple of weeks that would include the Tongariro Northern Circuit, Routeburn Track and the Milford Track.

To finish we have 3 months in China, still an emerging country as far as hiking goes, but we will be getting in some trips in the Yunnan/Sichuan Provinces, getting close to the Tibetan prefecture, and hiking in the Dali, Lijiang, Sigunianshan/Rilong areas for starters.

We’ve worked and saved for nearly two years to fund this trip and we’ve been planning this for nearly a year so far! Life’s all about adventure….and to quote John Muir,

‘The mountains are calling and I must go’.

Wayne & Danielle Fenton.

Wayne Fenton (@DukeSilas)

Jeff,
    We hiked to Plateau Point two years ago in the Grand Canyon and I can see the attraction of the rim-to-rim. Its a stunning place, especially when you get below the rim.

100 miles on the Via Alpina in Switzerland – A European classic. Nice selection.

The Camino de Santiago in Spain – Its a long way! I believe that Scott Herriott of flip flop flipping fame is on this now (Squatch).

The Coast-to-Coast Trail across England – Oh yes! Some great and classic English scenery taking in three national parks. I’m there next June but with a tent, a lot cheaper….but weather may not be the greatest. It rains quite a bit in England, more so on the western side of the Pennines!

Liz Schteiden

I would love to do the north to south lake loop out of Bishop.

Antonio G
    Participant

As I’m currently traveling around Europe, I’m mainly interested in Croatian and Swiss trails. I’m originally from Croatia, so I’m planning to do Biokovo trail and wander around Paklenica National Park. Currently, the weather isn’t the best, but hope it gets better soon.

Regarding Switzerland, I’ve been there many times, but always for a short period and never had a chance to do any hikes. I’m planning to do Zermatt, Gryon, and Gemmipass for the first time. Also, I’ve found a great source covering way too many Swiss hikes that I’ve never heard of.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.