Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Sending/Buying Food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Deanna Bradford
    Participant

Hello!

I’m from California but currently live in Japan. A Japanese friend of mine is interested in hiking the John Muir Trail in August and I’m trying to help him plan for it (despite never having hiked it myself!).
    His plan is to fly to San Francisco, take public transportation to Yosemite Valley, hike to Mt. Whitney, then take public transportation back to San Francisco.

He seems to want to buy his food in Japan and then send it to someplace in Yosemite Valley so that he won’t have to bother with it until his hike begins. Is this even possible to do?? Or is it at all advisable?
    Through my research it seems that it would be more reasonable to buy the food needed at the stores in Yosemite Valley.

Your thoughts??

Thank you!
    Deanna

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

It is possible to send packages to the Post Office in Tuolumne Meadows (see our Resupply Page: https://socalhiker.net//backpacking/jmt/resupply-addresses/) but it seems like it would be pretty expensive to do so from Japan.

Unless he wants to carry foods that aren’t readily available in the US, I would suggest purchasing in San Francisco.

The other variable is how long the trip is. If he’s hiking for three weeks like I did, he’ll need to resupply along the way, which means mailing to a couple of additional spots.

It is possible to purchase food at Tuolumne, Reds Meadow and VVR, but you’ll have to accept whatever they have at that point in time. They are not full-featured markets and won’t have the widest selection of food.

Deanna Bradford
    Participant

Hello Hester-san!

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply.

I believe he is planning the hike to be three weeks as well. I’ll make sure to send along the information to him!
    I really think that buying/sending the food from San Francisco is the best idea as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.