Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question San Jacinto walk-in permits?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David R
    Participant

I’m thinking of doing San Jacinto as an overnight next week, and as this was a bit of last minute preparation, I wouldn’t have time to snail mail an application for a permit, for one of the wilderness campsites, such as Strawberry Junction or Little Round Valley. (The park’s website lists 10-14 days for permits to be mailed if you get one). Does anyone know if they also offer walk-in permits, if we show up day of, and they have space in any of those campgrounds, can we just apply for a permit then? Obviously that’s a bit of a risk, but I’m hoping in mid April, those higher campsites aren’t terribly crowded. Alternatively we could just camp in Idyllwild campground and day hike it I suppose.

Thanks for any insights!!

Dave

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey David! You can probably get a walk-in permit this time of year, but I would call the ranger station in Idyllwild first to confirm availability. Their hours may be a little limited this time of year as it’s somewhat “off-season.”

Let us know how your trip goes! I love that area.

David R
    Participant

Thanks Jeff.

We lucked out and got the last spot at Little Round Valley! We lucked out the ranger on duty was still in the office when we arrived Friday, and she got us all set up. Great camp site to set up for an early morning summit.

I did think it was odd that despite the reservation system for permits, through the office, they still leave self-serve permits outside the office. Meaning even if all sites were full, someone could still fill out a valid permit for an overbooked site, without knowing it was full.

Either way, great camping, and great hike.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.