Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trail Reports Mount Wilson

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

This is a belated report of our hike up Mount Wilson via Sturtevant trail two weeks ago.

First off, I should mention that an early start is critical. We arrived at Chantry Flats at 6:05 AM and got one of the last three parking spots! By the time we left later in the afternoon people were parked on the roadside for over a mile below Chantry Flats. Definitely get there early if you want to park at the trailhead and not have to hike a mile just to get to the trail!

We took the side trip to see Sturtevant falls, and this is certainly worthwhile. Then continued up past Sturtevant camp which was very cool, and then to the summit. It gets steep after Sturtevant camp and I let myself get a little gassed by not pacing myself.

Had lunch at the top and wandered around the observatories. Beautiful views.

Came back down via the Winter Creek trail. Overall a great day

Mark & Brenda

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Mark, thanks for the trail report!

I see that you’re signed up for this year’s Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge. Be sure to log your hikes using this form: https://socalhiker.net//enter-your-six-pack-of-peaks-hike/

You can find a link to this in the future from the Six-Pack of Peaks menu > Logged Hikes.

Rhonda Rodgers
    Participant

The previous post is on point. The waterfall is flowing, the cosmic cafe is open, and the trail is in great shape. Yes, get there early for parking. I went Easter Sunday and the lot was full by 7AM. One other important point = bug net! The gnats were in full force from Spruce Camp Ground all the way to the top of Wilson. My $3 Walmart bug headnet saved the day.

have a great hike!
    Rhonda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.