Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions Introduce Yourself: Steve B

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    Participant

Hey All,

I’ve been camping and hiking all my life. I’m turning 39 this year and find myself with a pretty open schedule which should give me lots of time to explore our local mountains in more detail. This year I’ve already done San Bernardino Peak. This Saturday I’m doing San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and expanding my circle of adventure lovers!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome to SoCalHiker, Steve! I look forward to hearing about the trail conditions on your San Gorgonio hike. So far, none of the Six-Pack of Peaks Challengers have claimed San Gorgonio this year.

Steve B
    Participant

Well consider it claimed! But not without some serious tenacity. By far the most difficult physical activity I’ve ever done. It took us 7 hours to summit. I know we stayed “on trail” most of the time, but honestly I couldn’t tell you exactly how we got there. I know when we came to the intersection near the top where Dollar Lake / Vivian Creek come together we were on the Dollar Creek trail (and we followed our tracks down). We ran into the Ranger at High Camp and he gave us “directions” from there. Pretty much straight uphill.

Conditions were horrible. It was windy (they said 65 mph at top), and blazing sun. On the way down the snow was similar to quicksand. It took us 5 hours to come down.

Despite all that… it was truly EPIC! If anyone is interested let me know… I’m down to conquer it again. This time I’ll make sure I don’t forget the snow shoes… micro spikes got the job done… but snow shoes would have been wonderful through the meadows.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.