Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question How do you carry enough H20 in the heat while backpacking?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    LYNNE R
    Participant

We’re doing the challenge and we recently did Cucamonga and stayed overnight at the summit. We began with 21 liters of water between the three of us and refilled at the spring in both directions, total consumed was about 26 liters for the trip. Baldy has no spring on the way up the Devil’s Backbone and wondering how everyone deals with the 100 degree weather, when it comes to staying properly hydrated? My friend carries 9 liters and I normally carry 13 liters for Lynne and myself. I’m considering adding another 6 liter reservoir, for a total of 19 liters, but that’s 43 lbs. of water weight.

Thanks,
    John

Philip Y
    Participant

Wow! Are you just doing an out and back on Baldy? If so you certainly don’t need that much water. I did Rattlesnake Peak last year in 90 and 100 degree weather. I took 7 litters and ran out with .5 miles to go on an extremely strenuous 9.25 miles. Elevation was lower than Baldy but the hike was much harder. I would figure 7 litters per person w/electrolytes and you should be fine.

Stephanie R
    Participant

Wow! That is sooo much water! I’ve never had to carry in water for an overnight without the option of refilling, but on day hikes of the peaks, I only bring 5 L of water. I’ve never run out, and I never want to know what that feels like. I hydrate before and after, supplement with salt and electrolytes to retain water, and eat fruit.

R W
    Participant

I’ve done 4 of the 6 Pack of Peaks so far, and this is what has worked for me:

For day hikes, after taking 3L plus electrolytes on San Jacinto and running out, I’ve carried 2 3L bladders for our 14 mi Cucamonga hike in extreme heat and humidity and same yesterday for 16.5 mi San Bernardino, also in monsoon conditions. I used 4.5L at Cucamonga and not even 4 yesterday. Again these were day hikes and I drank water freely as needed. I also brought 2 smaller Nathan bottles filled with electrolyte solution, 1 clipped onto my pack and 1 handheld with apple slices and Stinger electrolyte chews in the pocket. When I do Baldy I plan to do the same. I also bring a Sawyer Mini filter but have yet to need it. As well, I brought dates with the pits taken out and pecans placed inside. Raisins also are good esp in the drier climate desert hikes like the Bernardinos and esp San Jacinto. And I like Kettle Sea Salt chips for a quick salt fix – they work better for me than salt tabs.

R W
    Participant

If I backpacked, I’d plan for the 6L per day but ideally camp at a place with a water source to refill.

R W
    Participant

Also it’s true Baldy has no water, but the Ski Lodge up at Baldy Notch has water, drinks and food – its cafeteria-style restaurant is open, as are ski lift tickets if you want to ride the chairs up or down to cut a portion off Manker if you are doing that to or from Backbone.

Prehydration with electrolytes a few days beforehand will also help a lot with your water needs during.

R W
    Participant

Also it’s true Baldy has no water, but the Ski Lodge up at Baldy Notch has water, drinks and food – its cafeteria-style restaurant is open, as are ski lift tickets if you want to ride the chairs up or down to cut a portion off Manker if you are doing that to or from Backbone.

Prehydration with electrolytes a few days beforehand will also help a lot with your water needs during.

A final tip – colors – or rather lack thereof – make a HUGE difference in the heat and humidity! Wear clothes that wick moisture well, and for really hot days, I hike in all white stuff I got specifically for the summer heat. For Cuca, I was fine in all white; my hike partner was in dark colors and was really struggling with the heat. It makes a big, big difference!

Natalie C
    Participant

In summer weather I like to start at 430-5am. So I’m finishing when the temp has hit 3 digits. That said, I carry 5L for myself and a couple extra because it seems I always run into someone without enough. And then what everyone else said, electrolytes, food that works for you etc etc… 🙂

LYNNE R
    Participant

Hi All,
    It’s nice to see some feedback on this topic and I’ve taken the info in and mulled it over a while. I work in the shipyards down here in San Diego and hydration is an issue we fight every day during this time of year. It’s actually common to be working on steel plates throughout the shipyard with temperatures of 120 to 145 degrees and hydration is ever so important.

Anyway, we’re doing the backbone this weekend and planning to camp at the summit or somewhere, so we have to carry enough H20 for the two day trip. I don’t know how all of you hike with lesser amounts of water, but we will have plenty of H20 to make it through the trip safely (35 liters +) and I’ll carry 19 liters because I can and because I can drink 10 liters on a hot weather hike and have no desire of being a statistic for search & rescue to come help.

I did a local hike in San Diego in 95 degree weather in a group of three and we each carried 10 liters on an extreme hike and we all ran out of water on the last mile, turns out they had to rescue three people that day from the peak

It’s most important to have enough water and that’s the dependent on the consumption of the individuals. Take enough of that precious commodity and don’t become a statistic.

See you all at the top!!

John and Lynne

LYNNE R
    Participant

I think we’re all talking the same language on this two day hike hydration theory, 5-6 liters per day per person. Just to be clear, that’s 36 liters for three people, right? That’s starting out with the maximum that each person can comfortably carry, along with everything else in the pack, and it really takes this to a new level for us. We’re meeting a day or two before we leave to put everything we plan to carry out and whittle it down to just the necessities for this hike, due to the extra water weight. I like the info on the light colors also, not the first time I’ve heard that.
    On another note, does anyone have thoughts on long sleeves vs. short sleeves?
    Thanks everyone, for the time you spent to reply.

John

Natalie C
    Participant

John lately I’ve tried a variety of long sleeves; Columbia women’s Bahama vented button-up, similar REI vented; and just last week I borrowed my hubby’s Hanes long sleeve cool dri performance tee to peak Baldy and that has been the best at keeping me cool and dry(breathable) so far. As a matter of fact I’m opening Amazon in a minute to order a smaller 2-pack for myself 🙂 white, btw!
    All that said, my hike buddies and I are often fine in short sleeves or tanks as long as we remember sunscreen.
    Wide brim hats are extremely helpful for me as well.
    You’ve posed some great questions!! Hope to see you two on trail.

Natalie.

R W
    Participant

I most always wear long sleeves for protection from bugs, thorns, and sun as well as have legs covered for the same plus wear gaiters that help a ton. I have found Asics makes some awesome long-sleeved running shirts that wick moisture away and help me stay cooler even in heat and humidity. I got mine on Amazon and they were reasonable. I’ve used them on all 4 of my Six Pack hikes so far with good results.

Good luck!

Natalie C
    Participant

R W thanks for your suggestion. I’m checking out the Asics too since I haven’t yet ordered the Hanes.

Natalie.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.