Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Hiking Shepherd Pass, summiting Mt. Williamson

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Wittrock
    Participant

Looking for trail maps & stories

William Leach
    Participant

What would you like to know? It is a bitch of a hike (Shepherd Pass) and also the climb of Williamson. The climb itself isn’t the worst part, but getting to the West Face via Williamson Bowl is a piece of work. Seeing how you are going to be in the area doing Williamson, make sure to get up Tyndal also. A much more enjoyable climb from all aspects than Williamson, and also a 14er. If you want details, get in touch via here with me. Have been up Shepherd at least 5 times, and down it even more than that. Been on top of both Williamson and Tyndal within the last couple of summers, and should be able to provide any info you need. Bill

Bill Wittrock
    Participant

William, we are heading through Shepherd Pass from the JMT. We could not get an exit permit on Mt Whitney and have planned to exit through Shepherd Pass to Independence, summitting Mt. Williamson (or Tyndall) on the last day (9/11/15) before we hike out. We are planning on using the full day from either Anvil or Pothole to get to either summit.
    Do you have any recommended sources for trail maps of Shepherd Pass?

I would like to hear about your adventure to Mt. Williamson. I have read several stories on the net about the Williamson Bowl, the black stain, the chute, the chimney and have seen posted photos. But I have found little plan info.Any help at this point would be appreciated. Any stories you have to tell would be valuable.
    Bill

Bill Wittrock
    Participant

William, A few questions:
    What route do you recommend for Tyndal summit from Shepherd Pass?
    Would you recommend helmets for the last part of Mt. Williamson?
    How much time do you recommend for either summit from Shepherd Pass?

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.