Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Backpacking Guaranteed Trails For 4th of July (No Permit Reservation?)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    amm mar
    Participant

Hey Jeff,

I’m wondering if you have any advice for backpacking trail (3 days) over the 4th of July without the need to apply for a permit (i.e. I’d prefer to do a self fill-out form and backpack away). I have a huge itch I need to satisfy and the day hikes I’ve been doing hasn’t been enough.

Any recommendations? Given its this week, and this weekend is probably the busiest as part as permits are concerned, I am hoping there are some options (Maybe something in the San Bernardino Forest?).
    I’m really looking for Thurs Night/Friday/Sat/Sun. I’m just expecting to drive up Thursday Night and setup camp, and on Sunday I’m hoping to return easily to the OC by noon. The group can manage about 8-10 miles a day quite comfortably, although slighter shorter is okay.

Part of the odd request to back in the OC by noon is because there is surprise bday party for a friend, and the GF wants me to take him on a backpacking trip so she can prepare the place.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

There are a LOT of places you can go on short notice, but you’re right about the permit situation being dicey on a holiday weekend. If you’re flexible, I would try San Jacinto via Idyllwild. You can stop at the ranger station in town and they’ll give you the options.

If you’re willing to drive, you can head up to the western Sierras. Go to the ranger station in Prather and you can get walk-in permits to a lot of great trailheads.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.