Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails John Muir Trail Getting to and from the JMT

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vasilios Ladas
    Participant

I have a break from study for a month in June and I’m considering solo hiking the JMT, I’m still in the early stages of researching this and trying to find out travel time and costs. I’ll be flying in from Australia and i’m wondering where the best place to arrive would be and how to get to the trail from that place (north to south direction). After I finish the trip I may fly to New York to visit family so what would be the best way to do this?

Cheers, Vas.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome, Vas!

Here’s some basic info on getting to the JMT. I’m assuming you’ll start in Yosemite (most do).

Reno, Nevada is one of the easiest airports to access the JMT from. The Eastern Sierra Transit bus stops at the airport and will bring you to Lee Vinning, Mammoth Lakes or Lone Pine, CA. From Lee Vinning or Mammoth Lakes, you can transfer to YARTS for your connection to the northern terminus of the JMT.

San Francisco, Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno and Las Vegas all provide reasonable access to the John Muir Trail as well. From California, you will take a taxi to Amtrak to YARTS (in Merced) or a taxi to Greyhound or Amtrak and then on to connect with Eastern Sierra Transit (in Reno).

Source: PCTA.org

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.