Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Current Trail Conditions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

I’m looking at hiking San Bernardino and San Jacinto Peaks in the next two weeks during mid-week. Has anyone climbed these recently? I’m wondering about the conditions to get to the top. Are micro spikes needed? Anyone want to hike with me? Thank you.

Steve Harer

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Steve,

Check the Wall of Fame for recent summit reports.

For San Bernardino, Justin L summited on 4/17 and reported that microspikes would’ve been useful.

A lot more people have summited San Jacinto, and if you scan through the Wall of Fame, you’ll find reports from many different trailheads.

Stephen S
    Participant

Steve,

A group of friends and I summited San Jacinto on March 27, 2016. This was my first hike away from San Diego County and my first 10ker. Having done all my hiking in San Diego County I was not even aware of microspikes. I can tell you after that hike I most certainly researched them and bought a pair Kahtoolas.

The snow was as much as 3 feet deep. I know this because I found myself hip deep a couple times when one leg would fall through (be careful if you wander off the trail). Bring a compass or GPS because the snow made following the trail difficult as you neared the summit.

That being said, we summited with no trekking poles or microspikes, however they would have made for a quicker and less difficult hike. It was a glorious view at the top and I wish you well. Happy Trails.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.