Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions checking in

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Mathews
    Participant

I recently found your site while searching for trail info. Great site. I have been day hiking most of my life, but recently decided to pursue backpacking as a way to experience the more secluded natural wonders of our area. I live in North County San Diego. Male, 61 years of age. I am going on trip to Sierras this summer culminating in an ascent of Whitney. We will start at Horseshoe Meadows, go up the New Army Pass and return via Cottonwood Pass in about 8 days. I have been hiking your 6 pack of peaks. Did Baldy last Friday and San Jacinto via Fuller Ridge the week before. Heading up to San Bernardino this Friday for a day hike. Maybe I will run into you sometime. I hope to do the JMT next year.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Well done, Brendan! You’ve set some lofty goals, and it sounds like you’re taking all the right “steps” to reach them!

Your trip up Whitney sounds great. Taking a week to do it will give you additional time to acclimatize and really enjoy the experience.

And I cannot recommend the JMT highly enough. Many of the PCT thru-hikers we met on the trail agreed that the JMT is one of the most if not THE most beautiful section of the PCT.

Have you seen ‘Mile…Mile and a Half”? That’s a great way to whet your appetite for the JMT.

Brendan Mathews
    Participant

Watched Mile, Mile and a Half last night. Just reinforced my intentions to go. Looking forward to San Bernardino on Friday and maybe San Gorgonio next week. Might do that as an overnight up Fish Creek.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.