Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Cactus to Clouds and Iron Mountain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Trina R
    Participant

Are there any other challengers out there who have completed the Six-Pack and are looking for another challenge? I’ve been using the Six-Pack (and other strenuous but less popular hikes) to train for Cactus-to-Clouds (Skyline Trail) and Iron Mountain. Unfortunately, the other members of the group I was planning to hike with have bowed out due to injuries and other conflicts but after 6 months of training I am still determined to accomplish my goal.

Make no mistake, these are crazy hard hikes—much harder than any individual Six-Pack Peak but after much research and training I think they are accomplishable if you are in excellent shape, tolerate heat well, pack ample water/electrolytes and leave ultra early.

My dates are pretty flexible. I’m off on weekends normally but I can get off on a weekday if needed. If anyone is interested I would love to connect.

Jennifer G
    Participant

Hi. I haven’t completed the six peaks yet. I still have to do jacinto and gorgonio but last month I hiked Whitney in one day. I would be interested in training. When do you plan on doing cactus to the clouds?

Rose W
    Participant

Interested, I’ve completed the 6 pack and hiked Whitney 2 weeks ago. I’m open most weekends

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

I have completed the Six-Pack and have also been working on conditioning to complete C2C! We were looking to do Iron Mountain soon, but have been waiting for this heat wave to pass. My usual hiking day is every Friday, but I am also off Saturday’s.

Trina R
    Participant

Hi Rose, Jennifer and Carisa!

I had planned to do C2C on the weekend of Aug 6/7 but we were going to start around midnight because of the heat. I thought (and stated above) that my dates are pretty flexible but when I actually reviewed my calendar I realized they aren’t really. 🙁 The only other weekend I have available until Oct is August 27/28 because of various backpacking and traveling trips.

I’m so thrilled that others are interested and would be happy to wait until October for a date that is mutually agreeable. Plus, we might avoid some of the heat. I tried to figure out how to send you my email privately but can’t seem to do it so I guess I’ll just post it here: [email protected] If you are still interested, please email me and I’ll see if any of us can connect to tackle these challenges!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I would highly recommend waiting until October. Even starting at midnight, you can be facing dangerous heat in August.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Oh, and girl-power! I’m impressed!

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

Hello Trina,
    I am definitely interested, but also think an October date is preferable. I imagine all of August will be very hot, and that can take a toll on a hiker. My email is [email protected]. An October schedule gives us a little more time to plan as well. Thank you for your post on SoCal! Now, what to do to get Jeff to join the all girl team! 🙂

Trina R
    Participant

Thanks Jeff! Thanks solid advice, particularly with a group of people who have never hiked together. We’ll have our “girl-power” achievement day in October. 🙂 Thanks for creating a forum where we can connect. I don’t think I’d meet other like-minded women (and men) as easily anywhere else!

Jennifer G
    Participant

Hi Trina. I just wanted you to know that I sent you an email earlier today.

Philip Y
    Participant

Ladies,

I have been toying with the idea of hiking the C2C for a while now. I will complete the six pack of peaks on Sep 18 by doing the Marion Mountain trail to San Jacinto. This will also double as my 52nd hike of the 52 Hike Challenge. I plan on looking for a partner or two or three to do the C2C sometime in October (Just as Jeff has suggested). However, I plan to do the hike in three legs. First, I want to hike the first leg to the tram, stepping off at day break, having lunch at the restaurant and then taking the tram back down. Second, I want to ride the tram up and then hike to the peak and back to the tram, eat and head back down. Finally, I will hike the entire leg to the peak from the desert, starting off at about 0230 or 0300, and then hiking back down to the tram. Have dinner and then take the tramp down. Adding these extra hikes before the C2C will allow for a few things. One seeing the first leg during the day so you are familiar with the trail before starting off in the dark. Two, learning how long each leg will take and the exact distance for each leg, and finally how much water will be needed to remain hydrated during the hike. If ant one is interested in this please let me know. What I want to do can not be done alone. It will take at least two people. And three separate hikes.

Philip Y
    Participant

Carisa, you would have to get him out of Asia first.

Philip Y
    Participant

Trina, I’ve looked at doing Iron Mountain sometime between now and Sep 18 (I’m doing San Jacinto on the 18th). I need 10 more hikes for the 52 Hike Challenge and want Iron Mountain to be one of them. San Jacinto will be my completion of the six pack and the 52 hike challenge.

Philip Y
    Participant

I just read my post. Can’t stop laughing! Tramp, means Tram. lol

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

We want to do Iron Mountain as well, but I won’t do that in the heat. There is no shade cover at all. Maybe Iron Mountain across the Baldy Traverse soon too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.