Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Best Kid Hikes?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nate F
    Participant

Hey Everybody,
    I’ve got two kids (4 and 3) with a third on the way. The kids love being outside and they seem to enjoy hiking as long as the trail isn’t too long or intense.

So I’m looking for suggestions for some good day hikes for kids. Also looking for advice on how to help kids enjoy hikes when their enthusiasm begins to wane.

Any success stories? We’ve done Sturtevant Falls and Switzer Falls and the kids had a good time on those (though my back was sore from carrying the littlest one for some stretches).

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Nate! I’ve got three kids myself — though they are grown up now. Kids love destination hikes. As you noted, hikes with water are always a big hit, but it can be other things too — like a historical site or something fun.

The old LA Zoo in Griffith Park comes to mind, as do the ruins of the old cabins in Icehouse Canyon. Don’t worry about trying to get to the “top” (whatever that is). Just have fun, and explore a little further as their strength and curiosity grows.

Craig W
    Participant

I take my daughter to Joshua Tree. Lots of children hike there with their parents. Lots of routes to choose from that have spectacular views.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.