Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question 1st overnight backpack trip with my son

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lana B
    Participant

Hi Jeff. Id like to take my son, 13 for a first backpacking trip and I am interested in going in southern California in September for 2-3 days. I saw you recommended the San Jacinto Mountain Trail. I am interested in that one. Do you know if there is still availability of permits for camping? Can you please advise about the water situation at that time of year. Will we need to bring our own water? Or if there is no water is their a stream to filter? Do you need to prepare to be at that elevation?
    Is there another option you recommend in socal close to LA if this is not available?

Lastly, are you available for private consultation for fee in planning back packing trips?
    Thanks very much

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Lana!

For the permit, call the San Jacinto Ranger District at 909-382-2921 and they can help you sort out permit options. Generally speaking, it’s harder to get permits for holidays and weekends.

There is typically no water in September at the spigot in Round Valley, so plan accordingly.

The sun sets in nearby Idyllwild at 7:00 PM on September 10th, so if you get to camp by then, you should have enough light to setup your tent. Cooking dinner in dim light is easier that pitching a tent, so setup the tent first.

Happy to consult! Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can set something up.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.