Many of you know that SoCal Hiker was nominated for USA TODAY’s Reader’s Choice award for the ten best hiking and outdoor blogs. This morning, the final ten were announced and I’m thrilled to share that SoCal Hiker is in the top three!
I started SoCal Hiker when I was training and preparing for a thru-hike on the John Muir Trail. Back then, I thought it would be a great way to share my research, my training and planning, and maybe even inspire a few others to get on the trail. I never dreamed our detailed trail guide database would grow to cover day hikes and backpacking trips from San Diego to Santa Barbara… and beyond.
What really moves me is the community of SoCal Hikers that has sprung up. People like me who love outdoor adventure, exploring new trails, or just getting dirt under their feet. Your participation in the community — your trail reports, feedback, questions and encouragement — are what make SoCalHiker one of the best hiking and outdoor blogs out there today.
So thank you for making your voice heard, and for being a part of what makes the Southern California outdoor scene so special.
If you’re new to SoCal Hiker, here’s how you become part of this community.
- Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. You’ll get inbox updates for new trail guides and reviews.
- Like us on Facebook. Be sure to select Get notifications to see updates and to join the conversation.
- Follow @theSoCalHiker on Twitter.
- Get a sneak peek at upcoming adventures. Follow us on Instagram.
- You’ll also find us on Google+, YouTube and Pinterest, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- And if you really don’t like the whole social network thing, we’ve got our own SoCal Hiker discussion forums where you can ask questions, share advice and swap tales from the trail.
The key to being a part of the community is to join in. Leave a comment. Share your own experience. Dive in!
Be sure to check out the rest of the 10 Best Hiking and Outdoor Blogs, as well as the other nominees. A great bunch of bloggers!