Registration for the 2017 Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge is now open! We’ve extended early bird pricing through January 31st, and thanks to your feedback, made great improvements for our third annual challenge.
What is the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge?
The Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge is an annual hiking challenge with six strenuous hikes up six great Southern California mountains: Mt Wilson, Cucamonga Peak, Mt San Antonio–aka Mt Baldy, San Bernardino Peak, Mt San Jacinto and the tallest peak in SoCal, San Gorgonio Peak. These aren’t the six tallest peaks in SoCal, but they are notable peaks. The hikes are beautiful, but also challenging, taking a full day for most people. After the snow melts, these peaks are all hike-able with no mountaineering required. Registration helps support Big City Mountaineers–a non-profit that works to give under-served inner-city youth a chance to experience big outdoor adventure.
2017 marks the third year for the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge, and we are stoked to see so many people fired up about getting outdoors. We hope you are one of them. Check out the #SixPackOfPeaks posts on Instagram for a hint of what’s in store for our 2017 Challengers.
Ready to sign-up? Check out the registration options and sign-up now.
Here’s an overview of the changes for 2017
- The window for hiking the six peaks will be January 1, 2017 through September 30, 2017. This is a month shorter than last year, so plan your hikes accordingly!
- The Six-Pack of Peaks Celebration (check out the photos from this year) will be held on Saturday, October 7th – mark your calendars now!
- All registered finishers get free admission to the party with their RSVP. Guests and other challengers are encouraged to join us and will be able purchase tickets.
- New fundraising options for Big City Mountaineers! We’re changing up the fundraising format, so you can join the team and Summit for Someone. You can get your very own fundraising page and set your own fundraising goal. Your friends and family can make donations and get a tax deduction as well. Last year we raised $10,000 for BCM. With your help, this year we’re going to double that!
- Challengers registered at the Explorer and Trailblazer levels will get a welcome packet* that includes a sticker pack and the 2017 Six-Pack of Peaks patch. Trailblazers also get the new 100% organic cotton 2017 Six-Pack of Peaks t-shirt in either men’s or women’s style. No coupons to redeem–it’s part of the registration process.
- If you register at the Starter level there are no physical goodies included. You can order stickers, patches, shirts and more in the shop.
- Big improvements are coming to the hike logs, making them easier to share, like and comment.
We had a lot of requests for tank tops, long sleeve tees and even hoodies. We will have those available in the shop early in 2017. If you prefer these to the short sleeved tees included at the Trailblazer level, you should probably register at the Explorer Level, which doesn’t include a shirt. Then you can order whatever style of shirt you want separately. Of course, if you do want the really nice short sleeve tees we’ve put together for 2017 (and who wouldn’t!?), the Trailblazer registration is your best value.
Hiking Clubs, Groups and Teams
Many people find that the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge is more fun with a group. We encourage hiking clubs, hiking groups or even a team of close friends to sign-up and hike together. If you are leading a hiking group, club or team and taking on the 2017 challenge, send us an email at [email protected] and let us know.
We have epic partnership opportunities for businesses who want to support the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge. The Challenge grew from just 175 challengers in 2015 to 1,002 in 2016, and the community is still growing. And unlike most outdoor “events” this one runs for nine full months. Interested? Learn more.
*Welcome packets will ship beginning the first week of January 2017.