Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Wilson and Cucamonga Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lauren G
    Participant

Hi!

We are new to the peaks and SUPER excited! We will be starting our journey on February 20th with Mt. Wilson. Then we would love to tackle Cucamonga on March 12th. I know we have more snow than normal, a great problem to have, but wonder how we can check the snow level as we get closer to that date. Is is safe to hike during snow? We have two kids 10 and 9, who are doing some of the peaks with us. Is this one they can do? Thanks for any and all thoughts! See you on the trail!

Lauren AKA Vinomore (My trail name…yes we all thought of trail names…yes we are those people 🙂 )

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Lauren (and family)! Welcome to SoCalHiker and the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge!

Mt Wilson will be fine, though water levels in the creeks have made the creek crossings more exciting!

Cucamonga Peak, on the other hand, is not hike-able right now, and may not be until April or May. Of course, it all depends on the whether, but given the snow we’ve had this year, I’d guess May or maybe even June is a possibility.

The issue is that in the current conditions, it is NOT a hike. It requires winter mountaineering, along with all the gear, training and experience that goes with that. One of the trainers at REI explained the difference between hiking and mountaineering like this: “In mountaineering, if you slip, you could easily die.”

Unfortunately, all of the other peaks besides Mt Wilson will be in a similar condition for some time.

Tackle Mt Wilson, and use the time between Peak 1 and the others to tackle some of the trails in the Santa Monica Mountains or visit some waterfalls. You’ll find that doing a long hike on the weekends will help you tackle the bigger hikes up the other five peaks with much more confidence.

ANNA S
    Participant

Good info… thanks Jeff!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.