Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Warning: Hiking Mt. San Antonio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

On Monday, March 21st I hiked Mt. San Antonio with my hiking partner. We are both avid hikers and are well equipped for snow covered trails. I wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking to peak Mt. San Antonio (Baldy) soon. A portion of Devil’s Backbone (about 12 feet) appears to have been destroyed due to a rock slide. Part of the trail that used to be flat now requires you to climb over rocks that are wedged against a tree. Just over that area is a portion of trail that now does not exist! This would not be problematic for most hikers except that the drop below is approximately 1,500 feet and the trail that is left was loose and extremely narrow. Also, the NE portion of trail from the ski hut to the Baldy Bowl area is completely covered with snow. There is no easy discernible trail so make sure you know the area well or are with someone who does. Proceed on this trail with caution at this time.

Michael W
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up. Was planning to bag Baldy and Cucamonga Peak tomorrow starting at 4am.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Thanks Carisa! Did you get any photos of the trail damage? How were conditions otherwise?

I’m curious because the annual Climb for Heroes event is coming up on April 3rd, and they normally take the Devil’s Backbone Trail both ways. They may have to either do some trail maintenance or re-route. Which is probably not possible since they have to go by the Notch.

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

Hello Jeff…my hiking partner notified the Climb for Heros group as well as the ranger station about the issue on the backbone. Hopefully repair of the trail is done soon. The picture I have of the area is from afar and does not show the portion that has been lost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.