Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Gear Wisdom Trekking Poles?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher McCowen
    Participant

Hi Jeff!

Awesome website. (I came across it while browsing Everytrail.com) My girlfriend and I recently got into hiking and it’s such a breath of fresh air from the daily office grind.

What are your thoughts and trekking poles and why do you use/not use them? An addition some are sold in singles others in pairs. I’ve seen photo’s in which some hikers are using two others only one. It seems to be hit or mis. We’re both in good shape though I sometimes have a little pain in my left knee (pretty minor but I’m sure it’ll get worse as I age) and wondered if they’re really of any benefit. (Honestly, being new to hiking I don’t want to look like an idiot using a hiking pole on an pathed out trail)

We got our started on the Santa Rosa Plateau (pretty easy hike with only a few hills I’m sure you’re probably familiar with) but we’re looking to venture into some more advanced routes.

At any rate, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Christopher McCowen
    Participant

Cancel that, I just found your awesome article here: https://socalhiker.net//hiking-with-trekking-poles/

Sorry about that! 😀

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Christopher,

Thanks for posting the question — and I’m glad you discovered an answer! As you saw, I am a fan of trekking poles, but when used properly. Having said that, I don’t always use them. For most shorter hikes I don’t carry trekking poles. For longer hikes with elevation gain/loss, I almost always bring them along. And for backpacking, I consider them essential.

As with everything, your mileage may vary. The key to success with trekking poles is learning to use them correctly — and I see far too few people doing that.

Santa Rosa Plateau is a beautiful area. Have you been to Tenaja Falls yet?

Christopher McCowen
    Participant

I haven’t no, I just did a quick Google and the area looks beautiful. It also looks a bit more of an “authentic” hike as apposed to the breezy walk at Santa Rosa.

We’re looking for a fresh area to hit next. On Google Maps I can’t quite tell where the road ends and the trek begins. It looks like you park on Los Alamos and take Forest Rte on up?

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I don’t have a write-up for Tenaja Falls (yet), but my buddy Josh does: http://californiathroughmylens.com/tenaja-waterfall-cleveland-national-forest

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.