Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question This might be the weekend!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lindsey
    Participant

Where I FINALLY maybe try to backpacking somewhere semi-local to Los Angeles (it’s hot out, and it’s looking mighty nice in the high country).
    GASP, this is a big step for me. I’m a Northern Californian, former Yosemite/New Mexico NPS employee [wilderness snob] who can never wrap my brain around over-nighting anywhere this close to LA. While I day hike constantly in the area, in my mind all the campgrounds and even the what we would consider “backcountry” are filled with trash and drunk teens. But I’m sure this is probably not entirely true? (Maybe?)

So, I’ve been sitting at work the last few weeks feeling incredibly stir crazy and find myself unable to pop up to the Sierras with a Sat/Sun off, and am wondering, is there anyone perhaps in the Angeles NF that might offer a nice (and maybe not drunk teenager filled) over night backpack? Admittedly, I’ve never ventured up the crest highway, and I’ve been curious since moving here if this might be a great way to at least have SOME semi-accessible weekend trips that don’t require 4+ hours of driving…

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I’m looking at you Jeff! It’s suppose to be a warm weekend here, and I’m thinking that this might be a totally reasonable time (even in November) to go camp somewhere higher in elevation and not enjoy some below freezing temperatures 🙂

Hikin’ Jim
    Participant

Lindsey, it’s going to be tough to beat the scenic grandeur of the Sierra or something like the Pecos Wilderness, but there’s still beauty to be had here in the South of California. And it sure beats concrete, asphalt, and the constant din of modern civilization, be it ever so humble.

How many miles are you looking for? I assume just Sat – Sun? Is cross country travel acceptable, and if so how much and at what level (easy open areas? rock scrambling OK?) I can make some specific recommendations if you give me a few general guidelines about what you want.

I’ve got a bunch of stuff on my blog if you’re interested in the nearby San Gorgonio Wilderness, but I haven’t had time to write up everything in the Angeles National Forest. See: Six Backpacking Loops in the San Gorgonio Wilderness

HJ

Lindsey
    Participant

HJ, agreed! So hard to beat those Sierra peaks (and YES, Pecos is so lovely!), but I think when you have one of those grown-up jobs, and only have Sat/Sun to work with, it’s a great thing to have access to these local places.

I’ll definitely check our your blog, looks great. I was thinking something in between. We’re pretty fit, but I have some knee issues right now, so we were thinking something less than 10-15 miles round trip, on an established trail, with one overnight (Sat –> Sun). I’d be perfectly happy with something shorter though that is pretty. I always end up taking my husband on these epic/long/intense trips, and I was hoping to maybe take him on something that is more enjoyable just to show him that backpacking can be fun and not miserable 🙂

Is Little Jimmy trail camp weird? It looks like it’s only about 2.5 miles from the road, and I usually avoid established camps because they = mice, bears, and drunk teenagers, but it doesn’t sound too bad. I notice Angeles NF seems to have a lot of those trail camps.

What I’m trying to say, in so many words, is that we’re pretty open. I think it would just be fun to hear about what others enjoy in the area, since we’ve yet to adventure up there at all. Thanks!

Hikin’ Jim
    Participant

I like Little Jimmy. It is very popular with the Boy Scouts, but usually I’ve had no problems. It’s far enough away from the road that I haven’t seen the rowdy crowd that I associate more with car camping. Little Jimmy has good water, so that’s a plus in this drought year.

It’s a very easy BP from the trailhead; my little 5 year old daughter has done it. You can drop your overnight gear, setup camp, and then hit Mt. Islip and return. Easy. If you want something more challenging, keeping heading generally south on the PCT. You can hit Mt. Hawkins, Throop Peak, Burnham, and Mt. Baden-Powell. Baden-Powell is the apex of the journey but is a fairly long hike (14 miles round trip?) from the camp. You’d have to either come in Friday night after work or start early on Saturday, particularly since we’re past Daylight Saving Time.

HJ

Lindsey
    Participant

Thanks so much Jim. I’ve sort of been leaning towards Little Jimmy! I think Mt. Islip looks nice a beautiful spot, and it might be fun to adventure up the PCT a bit as well. I definitely have the SG Wilderness on my list of things to do in the future, also looks beautiful as well. So many places to explore 🙂

It’s interesting how many trail camps they seem to have out there in the Angeles. I think you’re also allowed to camp wherever, assuming you’re not actually ON the trail etc.

Thanks!

Lindsey
    Participant

Actually, this looks like a fairly nice approach to Little Jimmy as well: http://calitrails.com/2013/02/21/crystal-lake-to-mount-islip-loop/

Slightly longer and more elevation gain, but it’s kind of neat that to see the old burn.

Hikin’ Jim
    Participant

The loop from the Crystal Lake is a really nice option. The views along the ridge coming down from Mt. Islip are very worthwhile. There are at least four ways to get to Little Jimmy Trail Camp: http://caltopo.com/map?id=2Q5I

I’ve marked the typical peaks that one might visit in the area as well.

HJ

Rob
    Participant

You could go up to the Mt. Baldy area. Icehouse Canyon to the Chapman Trail to Cedar Glen Campground. About 2.5 miles. No water, no toilet, no crowds. Then you can continue on the Chapman Trail until it rejoins the Icehouse Canyon Trail. From there, you can continue on to Icehouse Saddle, or head back down to the trailhead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.