Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails Lost Coast Trail The Lost Coast Trail

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jacob ramirez
    Participant

Im in the early stages of planning a trip to the lost coast trail
    im thinking of going in late july – early august
    any advice on the weather? any gear i should bring? how the scenery is going to be?
    much appreciated (:

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Jacob, welcome to SoCal Hiker!

My wife and I hiked the Lost Coast Trail last summer from July 18-21. I’ve posted day-by-day guides and a lot of photos — all from that trip: Lost Coast Trail. Be sure to follow the links to get a real feel for each of our four days on the trail.

The weather in late July to early August should be wonderful. It may get warm when the sun burns off the fog, but the creeks will still have water (check with the ranger if in doubt). As for gear, plan for the chance of rain. Evenings were still chilly. And we used a tent. Things get really wet from condensation in the nights, so anything you want dry should be under cover.

One warning, we saw very few people on our trip, but I’ve heard that it can get crowded on holiday weekends. Have fun!

Gary Jones
    Participant

Hi Jeff, I need some help with a plan b. I had a trip planned for the lost coast with another less experienced hiker. the dates were 8/24-8/27. We planned to shuttle from shelter cove and follow your route along the coast. Now we find that the shuttle service is telling us the tides are not going to be favorable for those dates, and there are some fires in the area that are scaring the less experienced hiker in our group.Also with the fires it will impact our travel to and from the area cutting into the time we had for the hike. We cannot reschedule the trip as we are in the area for a work related conference, so we are asking for help in finding another hike. We would like to see some coast on our hike if at all possible. Could you or anyone in your group suggest another spot for a three night hike? Thanks gary

Pete H
    Participant

Thank You for the website. It was very helpful. We just returned from a round trip hike. We departed from Black Sands on 1/10/2018 and turned around at the lite house. We didn’t need to see the Mattole parking lot. Lol We had 1 day of rain, yuk, and 3 days of great weather and the trail to ourselves. In my opinion starting from the south in the winter was a good call. The summer wind direction did not apply in January and together with the lite house, elephant seal area at the turnaround point, together with what I would say is the most challenging part of the trail just south of the lite house made for a nice memory filled less challenging hike back to Black Sands. Lots of stars, fresh water and of course the meadows (flats) are euphoric 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.