Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks The 1st Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David V
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

When did this challenge first start? I noticed on one of the pages for the 2017 challenge it states, “The 3rd Annual 6-Pack of Peaks Challenge…”

Is 2017 the 3rd year? Just curious… Thank you!

Dave

Dean D
    Participant

David,
    Yes I believe 2017 is the third year. All the posts and merchandise that I’ve seen on the site seems to support that 2015 was the first year.

David V
    Participant

Thank you Dean! Appreciate the reply… I heard about this back in July 2015 on my 1st summit to San Jacinto. At the summit I met a group of hikers opening a six-pack of beer, informing me that this is in honor of the 6-Pack of Peaks Challenge. So I had assumed back in 2015 that this challenge was going on for several years. Looking forward to this year’s challenge…

Dean D
    Participant

That was the first. From what I’ve read. Only about 80 people completed the challenge that first year. Elite group. Last years stats are somewhere on the blog, but if I remember 1000 people signed up, which was WAY up from the first year, and about 280 people finished. Huge increase. SoCal hiker is getting people off the couch and into nature! Seeing if I can knock it out again this year. See you on the trails.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

When did this challenge first start? I noticed on one of the pages for the 2017 challenge it states, “The 3rd Annual 6-Pack of Peaks Challenge…”

Is 2017 the 3rd year? Just curious… Thank you!

I created the Six-Pack of Peaks back in 2010. If you carefully read the trail guides for the six peaks, you’ll note that I led group hikes through a Meetup group (Hiking OC). At the time, there was no “challenge” aspect — just the concept.

The first Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™️ was held in 2015 (kudos to Dean for knowing this), and 2017 is the third year of the challenge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.