Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Campfire Thanksgiving Hiking Plans?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Do your Thanksgiving holiday plans include a hike or two? Share your plans, or brainstorm ideas for hikes that those out-of-town relatives will enjoy.

Not only is it a fun way to spend the holiday, but it makes for guilt-free indulgence on Turkey Day.

Joan and I will be traveling up to the Bay Area and doing a hike up there. Any NorCal folks with suggestions?

Rachel Sciacca
    Participant

Thanksgiving hiking is my favorite!! For the last 3 years (this will be the 4th), I’ve organized a Friendsgiving trip to Yosemite with all my transplant friends that live in SD and LA and don’t go home until Christmas (it’s far too expensive to go home for both!).

We usually leave SD Wed night around 6:30, right after traffic has mostly died down, and we generally don’t hit much traffic at that point. We get to Yosemite valley around 2am, sleep briefly in our cars, and then set up camp at Upper Pines Thursday morning. We make all the Thanksgiving fixings at home, package them up, and then heat them around the fire Thursday night. Fri-Sun we move into the heated Curry Village tents which is super nice and cozy, and the bathrooms and showers are a nice luxury. Hiking is generally kept to the valley – most of the time there is snow in the backcountry around Thanksgiving time, so we stick to 4 mile, Mist Trail, John Muir, etc. Last year we almost made it to Glacier point but of course they closed the road the night before we set off because of a storm.

In my experience, there is no better place to wake up Thanksgiving morning than Yosemite, surrounded by its awesome granite counter tops! There are still crowds, but much lighter than the summer crowds – although trying to leave the park around sundown you likely will hit traffic.

-Rachel
    MyLifeofAdventures.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.