Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trail Reports Some trails closed due to fire in San Bernardinos are mostly open now

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    R W
    Participant

South Fork – definitely yes
    Fish – still impacted with blocked areas

I spoke with the local ranger station today re: the hyper-aggressive mama rattler we found trailside at 9K feet on San Bernardino yesterday, and we talked about the Gorgonio area trails that had been closed due to the Lake Fire.

He told me the biggest issue was all the fallen trees that had been burned in the fire – in many cases creating an impenetrable “mare’s nest” of branches. They had to clear a lot on the South Fork but it is now open – I just got permits approved for early and mid August. The Fish trail is still severely impacted, and he said in one spot has a huge area of “mare’s nest” still needing clearing. It’s slow going as power tools are forbidden in the national forest areas. He also said the Dry Lake trail has some very rough/impacted spots as well and recommended not using it. The Dollar Lake trail is ok.

R W
    Participant

The wilderness association has some great photos on their site of people working hard to clear the South Fork trail. There was a lot of damage from burnt/fallen trees and trail overgrowth from the spring rains. Be sure to thank a volunteer when you hike the newly opened trails for all of their very hard, manual work to bring the trails back!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.