Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails John Muir Trail Snowpack Question – JMT Section Hiking

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Gerner
    Participant

So after a solid month of trying, I finally got through the permitting process and have the official federal go-ahead to do a nice multi-day section of JMT, from Tuolomne to Red’s Meadow.

I’m hiking at altitude in the ANF to acclimate, I won’t need to resupply, and my lovely wife will be doing the pick up and drop off (and living the high life at the Ahwanee while I’m hauling ass in the grass).

The problem is that the date is fairly early in the season, departing June 14th. Given the section I’m hiking, and the Sierra snow situation as of today (30%), how problematic is snow likely to be? Will I need an ice axe, crampons, and a four-season tent? Or is it more likely I’ll have a few sections of awkward snow cover that I can just push through?

If the info above isn’t enough, ask away, and I’ll answer.
    Thanks in advance! WOOOO!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Chuck, congrats on your permit!

Snow levels are LOW this year. Of course, this is subject to change, but by June you should be pretty safe. You will likely have cold nights, but won’t need a winter tent.

Going over Donohue Pass you’ll likely have snow, but there will be a path tamped down to mark the way. No need for ice axe or crampons, but I would always recommend trekking poles.

That’s a beautiful stretch of trail. Be sure to stop in at the cafe in Reds Meadow and have a milk shake. You won’t regret it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.