Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Sierra Designs Bed-Style Review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vicki Matter
    Participant

Hi, I have a question about the review you did for the Sierra Designs Bed-Style bag. Do you think the 2 season would be good enough for JMT in August? I have actually never been to Yosemite or Lone Pine, etc even though it isn’t that far from me. I sleep pretty warm (chubby middle aged woman, I can’t help it :)) Thanks!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Vicki! Great question.

Disclaimer: I’m reluctant to give it a resounding “no problem!” because ultimately your sleep system is a highly individual thing.

Having said that, I tend to sleep warm as well, and I think I’d do just fine in the 2-season version on the JMT in August… especially if you’ve got a tent. Worst case scenario, you can add layers.

Note that the torso area is not insulated on the bottom — it relies on your sleeping pad for that. I tested with a self-inflating Thermarest, but on my next test I’ll use a closed-cell foam Z-Lite pad and compare the results.

When I hiked the JMT in August 2010, there was one night where it dropped below freezing. I didn’t have this bag, but was sharing a 2-person tent and was plenty warm.

The best advice I can offer is to give it a try. Some retailers (like REI) will let you bring equipment back if it doesn’t work out. Try it out in chilly conditions before your JMT trip so you know what to expect.

When are you starting your JMT hike? How long are you going to be out there?

Vicki Matter
    Participant

Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick reply. I am definitely going to try this bag, still not sure if I am going to go 3 season, or 2. I, like you, sleep in every position a body can get into besides on my back 🙂 I plan on using a Neo Air or equivalent for a sleeping pad.

I am not planning on going until 2016. This was something that my dad wanted to do when I was a teenager, and we just never got around to it. I had forgotten about it until a friend brought up doing the AT…and it popped into my head. From there, I just decided I was going to do it. Now I seem to be obsessed. My gear is all 30 years old (or older in some cases), so I need to buy new stuff before I get out there, and I am not in all that great of shape…so I need that length of time to be ready.

Planning on about 30 days. I figure 10 miles a day average, plus some zeros built in will be enough for me. That may change as I get closer and in better shape. Right now, 10 miles at 10k elevation is about all my body wants to do.

Not only is this going to be my first solo trip anywhere in my whole life, my longest vacation ever, my longest hike ever, it will also be my largest shopping spree ever I call it my midlife crisis trip. Let’s just say I want to be comfortable enough to have several epiphanies on my trail pilgrimage.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.