Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question San Jacinto Sat 9/23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    veronika v
    Participant

I had so much fun meeting hikers and joining other hikers and making good friends during this challenge. My last peak! For that one I won’t start super early like before. My friend and I will start at 7 am, faster pace and a lot of fun in perspective. You are welcome to join!

Natalie C
    Participant

Have a great hike! I’m heading up 9/21 earrrly a.m. with a buddy. I’m not brave enough to go at the ‘faster pace’ or we would join you lol !! We all get to share existences at the finishers celebration ???

Take care!

mml712001
    Participant

Are you hiking the Marion Mountain Trail on Saturday?

Vickie G
    Participant

Working the night before, otherwise you know, I would love to go.
    So happy for you. Enjoy and I can’t wait for pictures.

R W
    Participant

Keep an eye on mountain-forecast.com – temps supposed to drop to around freezing after a windy front moves through Th. And Natalie they are forecasting 50 mph winds for Th for both Jacinto and Gorgonio – wind speed going up each time I check :(.

Natalie C
    Participant

I’ve had my eyes on that forecast. Thanks friend for the lookout <3

veronika v
    Participant

I know you would join me again if you could Vickie 😉

veronika v
    Participant

Thanks RW, I ‘ll keep an eye and will wear layers and a pants!

veronika v
    Participant

Yes Marion it is 🙂

veronika v
    Participant

Thanks Natalie, have fun too!

R W
    Participant

Still on for Marion this Saturday at 7? What pace you think, and can I join? Was going to try to finally bag Gorgonio Fri but friend just spiked fever so need to reschedule. Btw I did Jac as my 1st peak via tram so have done that final part from where Marion intersects Peak Trail.

Lessons learned: This is a dry climate, so you will likely need more water and electrolytes than normal, as just the air sucks moisture out of you. We each brought full 3L plus electrolytes, which should have been fine, and we all ran out towards the end. I went with an Ironman Hawai’i finisher, 20 yr personal trainer, and super strong half marathoner, and all were xp hikers – we were horrified and shocked! Also my typical nuts, jerky, etc. tasted like dirt in the dry air – I craved moist stuff like raisins, apples, etc. Jacinto is just amazing tho and is my favorite summit of all :). Hope to join you for addl training/elev time for I hope Gorgonio summit next week when friend is better.

Veronika – pls msg me contact info so we can discuss plan. Thx!

Also Natalie, I still will help you with Jac if needed if that is not a day I am summiting Gorgonio.

mml712001
    Participant

Hi R W. I have finished the Six Pack of Peaks but I am miss the long hikes already. I hiked San Gorgonio with Veronika and her friends last weekend. The weekend prior to that, I hiked the Marion Mountain trail solo. I am in my mid-forties and overweight. It was tough as it is a lot of elevation gain (double that of the tram trail). However, I chose that trail to help me prepare for San G and San B. I think it really helped as I hiked both in one weekend. The Marion Mountain trail is actually my favorite of the Six Pack. By taking the tram, you missed beautiful parts of the mountain. There are several stream crossings, meadows, and beautiful forest with ferns. Even hiking it on a Sunday, I was hiking the trail much of the time completely alone. It’s really peaceful.

I plan to be there for the hike on Saturday. What I have found that works for me personally is some of the things I do and bring:
    -I hydrate by drinking water and Gatorade with breakfast before the hike
    -I take Advil before hiking and regularly during the hike
    -I use calf compression sleeves that are key to my hiking (prevent much of the leg pain and keep my muscles warm so I can keep going)
    -I read hike reports for the specific trail from several sources and then bring a printed copy of directions so that I am familiar with the trail before I hike it, including where there is water in case I need to filter more
    -I use hiking poles
    -I keep a headlamp, lightweight rain jacket and pants, and wool sweater in my bag always
    -I carry a Sawyer mini water filter and a soft bottle for “dirty” water in my pack

I am by no means an expert but I completed all of the hikes and in pretty decent time frames by figuring out what works for ME. I always go in mentally prepared, convinced that I can and will make the summit before I start, while knowing I will suffer discomfort along the way. I keep in mind that generally on a day hike I won’t die or suffer permanent injury from muscle and foot pain, headaches, thirst, blisters, hunger, or from fear.

R W
    Participant

Hi Veronika!

I will cya 7/23 at 7 am at the trailhead to join you. One more elev day before I redo San G next week will be good for me, and I can’t wait to help you bag gorgeous San J!

Talked to ranger this am, and she said some water maybe avail at Round Valley but wise to pack what you need just in case. I will bring my high-capacity filter for us but prob still pack my 2 3L CamelBaks to be safe considering steep climb up Marion.

I’ll be wearing similar to what is in my profile pic, so you can’t miss me. Looking forward to meeting you! I msg’d you also.

R W
    Participant

Also self-serve permits available at the campground near Marion, so you don’t have to 6 mi. detour to Idyllwild ranger station, I confirmed when I talked to ranger. Btw no snow or even much rain fell yest on peak despite cold temps, so looks great for the hike!

R W
    Participant

For anyone hiking with us 7/23, ranger also said high from 8500K up will be in higher 30s, so dig out that cold weather gear 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.