Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trail Reports San Jacinto – 06/26/17

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    R W
    Participant

Trail clear, dry, no snow including boulders/peak. 1 in our group could not summit 2 weeks prior due to heavy snow still on the boulders, so we think it melted in the recent heat wave. Great trail conditions, and a babbling runoff stream near the start of the tram hike.

Angelina U
    Participant

Did you take the tram up to the trailhead? I am thinking of doing this hike this weekend but saw that the tram doesn’t start running till 9 AM.

R W
    Participant

Yes we took the tram up. I am not sure of weekday hours, but we took the 8:30 tram on a Sunday, and it had been running for awhile already.

Also if you go, bring a large/beach towel to put over your dash and steering wheel or use a front windshield cover. Even in the shade of the mtn when we were done, the car was wickedly hot, and the sun can heat those surfaces to the point metal door handles can literally burn your skin in a desert summer. Same for the pavement – sit in the car to change out of your hiking boots (and do wear boots or at least trail runners that stick well on rocks), change shoes in the tram station, or bring a towel to stand on. Your feet and toesies will thank you!

Btw the summit literally is a larger boulder scramble – no actual trail. We waited for other people to come up or down and just followed their steps. I crawled and scooted on my booty when needed – best to be low to the ground and safe than risk maybe a nasty sprain or break if you fall and eat it. Done safely, the scramble is fun and the views at the top seriously looked like a green screen or painting – they were jaw droppingly just surreal!

The peak was not for us but can be super windy too, so be sure your stuff is strapped on tight before you startvyhe boulders. Have a great hike!

R W
    Participant

Last tip – our group is all experienced hikers, I have lived in the desert, and we each thought 3L water and electrolytes would be plenty. We were conservativecin drinking, and still all 4 of us were out and thirsty when we got back to the tram (which is an uphill walk). This was at the peak of a heat wave, but the mtn at elev was in the 60s and 70s. The desert air is so dry it just sucks the moisture out of you, so pre-hydration is a must, and a good water filter if you have one, as there is water on the trail near the start, but it has to be purified.

Lastly keep in mind the entire 10 mi is at elevation to some degree – 8500 at the tram to which you ascend in minutes from 2000 – to over 10,800 at the peak. So pace yourself accordingly and allow plenty of time if this is your first summit. You may go at half or less speed of your normal pace the entire way up. The last mile or so before the boulders cuts across the side of the mountain with zero shade if you do it in the am or early afternoon. Make sure you stop at the viewpoint about 3 mi in to rest, hydrate, and eat, as this is where you may start to bonk or feel the 10,000 feet fatigue. Conserve your energy and renember slow and steady wins the race if this last part gives you trouble.

Also the way down can be fast, but for some reason seemed twice as long as the way up for us! The hiking guide even mentions this – we all totally lol reading it afterwards! Remember once you see the big white rocks, you are 1.5-1 mile from the tram and that uphill or rather up-ramp walk at the end, where cold water, salty pretzels, ice cream and more await!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.