Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum San Bernardino, San Jacinto, and San Gorgonio without special gear

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gregory S
    Participant

Hi, my wife and I don’t have microspikes, crampons, or snowshoes, and we wanted to know the outlook on when we can start hiking the last 3 of the 6 peaks.
    We’re thinking of trying for the recommended route for San Jacinto during the weekend of Febuary 27, but we’re not sure if the snow/ice conditions will prevent us. This would be an overnight trip leaving Saturday. Our gear can take us down into the 20s/30s, but we just don’t have the gear for hiking in ice and snow.

Philip Y
    Participant

Hello Gregory, I am certainly no expert on hiking in snow and ice conditions. From my home in Oceanside I can see snow in San Jacinto. That to me says no hiking without special gear. I.e. Snowshoes or Crampons. I would recommend hiking the last three in late Aug through Oct. Last year I hiked San Jacinto twice in Oct (11th & 23rd). There was no ice or snow and the weather was great. I hike again on Nov 21, a week after it rained in Oceanside and snowed in Idylwild. For most of the hike we had no issues but a few miles from the peak there was some scattered snow and ice. We did not have microspikes or crampons and all of us slipped on our behinds at least once. Hope that helps! Like I said, I’m no expert, but that was my experience hiking San Jacinto. I would imagine San Bernardino and San Gorgonio would be about the same. I personally will be investing in microspikes and crampons between now and August just in case. In fact I will probably by some for the Climb for Heroes on Mt Baldy in April.

Gregory S
    Participant

Hi Phillip, thanks for the tips!
    I didn’t notice that I got a response until just now because I guess I didn’t click on the button to get the email notifications.

I was hoping to finish all 6 of the peaks by around June, but now it sounds like that will be more challenging. I’m planning on doing a first backpacking trip for my birthday with my wife this weekend of February 27. I’m now considering still doing San Jacinto, but starting lower and going about halfway up, where the conditions will hopefully be better.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Gregory, I would consider doing San Jacinto from the tram. You can camp in Round Valley overnight, then summit early the next day, be back down with plenty of time to break camp and return to the tram.

But I would recommend trekking poles and snowshoes. You can rent snowshoes from REI pretty reasonably. I think they might even rent them at the Mountain Station for the tram (but call to check first).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.