Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum San Bernardino Peak

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Justin L
    Participant

Anyone up for hiking San Berdu Peak this coming Saturday, the 6th?

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I’m going to be in an REI class Saturday morning, and then at the Hike for the Homeless on Sunday. Be safe out there! There’s a lot of snow and there are some gnarly sections.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I’m going to be in an REI class Saturday morning, and then at the Hike for the Homeless on Sunday. Be safe out there! There’s a lot of snow and there are some gnarly sections.

Justin L
    Participant

I have yaktraks and poles. Do you think that Cucamonga Peak would be safer?

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Nope. After Icehouse Saddle, the trail traverses the backside of Bighorn and it’s very treacherous.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Nope. After Icehouse Saddle, the trail traverses the backside of Bighorn and it’s very treacherous.

Justin L
    Participant

In that case I’ll do Mt. Wilson instead, if anyone would like to join me.

Nicholas B
    Participant

how did wilson go? That is my first hike of the 6 pack. looking forward to it

Justin L
    Participant

Well! Don’t believe the All Trails app on the Mt. Wilson Trail, it is 14.5 miles roundtrip, not 5.7. It’s about the same distance out of Chantry Flats. The Mt. Wilson Trail starts off out of Sierra Madre, which is the trail that I took. Warm day, but thankfully there’s quite a bit of shade. You go up about 5000 ft., so it’s a climb! The two miles after the halfway point are the toughest pull.

Joseph
    Participant

Well! Don’t believe the All Trails app on the Mt. Wilson Trail, it is 14.5 miles roundtrip, not 5.7.

Really? We’re starting with Mt. Wilson on the 27th. I sort of assumed it was the shortest of the 6 pack. Not sure why I thought that. I have only done Cucamonga and Baldy. The rest are new to me.

Justin L
    Participant

That’s what I thought! I’ve done San Gorgonio and Baldy before, so all of the others are new for me this year! Did you use crampons and an ice axe for Baldy and Cucamonga?

Joseph
    Participant

That’s what I thought! I’ve done San Gorgonio and Baldy before, so all of the others are new for me this year! Did you use crampons and an ice axe for Baldy and Cucamonga?

I did those last year before the snow hit. I live at the bottom of that mountain so those are my regulars. I’m waiting for everything to thaw before I hit any of them this year. I don’t have the equipment, experience, or training to attempt anything other than Wilson right now. I’m new to the 6 Pack Challenge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.