Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum ?s about Cucumonga

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    R W
    Participant

Some of us are doing Cucu and Icehouse for the first time this Fri 7/7. Please – anyone who’s done it recently – can you answer some ?s for me?

– Is parking in a lot or along Mt. Baldy Road? Does mapping trail head addy in nav work to drive to it?
    – Is there cell svc on this mountain?
    – When you went, were all trail signs there, and were permits available in the box?
    – Is 5 am too early to start/do we need daylight to see the trail?
    – I’ve read lots of posts that it gets hot. K to wear shorts, or are there lots of bugs, poison oak/ivy, branches/sticks/rocks to scramble?
    – It looks like first half shaded/trees & last half sun/exposed. Correct?
    – Anything else that a newbie to Cucu needs to know?

Thx so much, fellow Six Packers!

Chris
    Participant

Great questions! Following.

Philip Y
    Participant

@R.W. Hello, I’ve been up Icehouse Canyon 4 times in the past year. Each time there has always be plenty of permits available. Parking is in a lot but it fills up quickly. If you’re starting at 0500, you should be fine. The trail itself is well marked and well maintained. With that said, please make sure you being a map and a compass and know exactly where you are on the map and where you intend to go. No cell service! I do nor recommend shorts for this hike. Yes bugs, and yes thorny brush. Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle is covered well for the most part. After the Saddle though you will be exposed. I recommend at least 4 liters of water per person and plenty of energy snacks and electrolytes.

R W
    Participant

Thx so much Philip for the excellent tips. I see you still have San G left this year. Let me know if you have a permit date and would like my company, as you seem like a good partner to do the harder hikes with.

Philip Y
    Participant

@RW, I am hiking San Gorgonio this coming Sunday (Jul 9) from the Momyer Creek Trailhead. It’s a bit longer than the normal route from Vivian Creek. My friends (Hike Beyond the Hills) are hiking up on the 8th from Vivian Creek and overnighting at the peak. My plan is to step off from Momyer Creek at about 0230 and try to meet them at the peak, before they head down, and then hike out with them. It’s 13.2 miles from the trailhead to the peak.

I still need to redo Cucamonga Peak. My goal this year was to do each of the peaks from alternate trailheads (adding to the distance and the elevation gain). I did Cucamonga in May, from Icehouse Canyon with my friends (Hike Beyond the Hills), so I am going again on Jul 29th. Starting at the Middle Fork Trailhead and approaching Icehouse Saddle from the east. This will be about 16 miles round trip.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I just want to add to what Philip said, and note that at Icehouse Saddle there are five trails that converge at or near the saddle, so pay careful attention to read the signs and take the correct trail.

Also, when you get near the Cucamonga Peak summit, the “main” trail that you’re on continues east. Usually there are branches placed across that, directing you to head more or less straight up to the summit. With the number of people hiking Cucamonga, it probably will be obvious, but I mention it because I know people have missed this turn. There used to be a sign there, but it’s been gone for years.

And unlike Philip, I always wear shorts on this hike. Hike your own hike! 🙂

Philip Y
    Participant

@ Jeff 😉

Philip Y
    Participant

I’m watching the weather for my San Gorgonio hike on Jul 9th. It’s not looking so go for making it to the peak. About .9 inches of rain forecast from Fri through Sun. I still plan to hike, at least to Saxton Camp, if anyone would still like to join in. I’ll know for sure on Sat morning. I will more than likely change the start time as well, from 0230 to 0500. If you come, bring a poncho and plan to have fun in nature! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.