Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails John Muir Trail Resupply between MTR and Whitney Portal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I received this via email:

My wife and I will be doing the JMT in 2016 (starting in Tuolumne Meadows) to celebrate our 40th Anniversary. We are presently training, buying equipment and doing the research. We are planning on resupplies at Reds Meadows, Vermilion Resort and Muir Trail Ranch. All our research (you, Mile Mile and a Half, YouTube, other JMT sites and my personal experience) all indicate that there are no pick up spots between MTR and Whitney. Just want to triple check that with you. Thanks again! Hope to see you on a trail somewhere. Larry

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Larry,

Congratulations to you and your wife on your 40th anniversary! Hike the JMT sounds like a great way to commemorate it!

Muir Trail Ranch is the last place you can hike to without actually hiking over a pass and into town.

But…

You can hire a pack train to bring in a resupply, and this is what many people do. Sequoia Kings Pack Trains can bring your resupply package to Onion Valley and meet you there at a predefined date/time. They cannot leave a resupply package in a bear box, as that would be considered a food cache (not allowed).

Here’s their contact info:

Sequoia Kings Pack Trains
    Brian and Danica Berner
    800-962-0775
    [email protected]

Next time I thru-hike the JMT, I’m definitely going to utilize a pack train for a resupply here. 😉

Larry Bevins
    Participant

Jeff… Thanks so much for the suggestion and their contact info. We’ll check into that. Cheers! Larry

Rochelle Burrows
    Participant

Larry,

Congratulations to you and your wife on your 40th anniversary! Hike the JMT sounds like a great way to commemorate it!

Muir Trail Ranch is the last place you can hike to without actually hiking over a pass and into town.

But…

You can hire a pack train to bring in a resupply, and this is what many people do. Sequoia Kings Pack Trains can bring your resupply package to Onion Valley and meet you there at a predefined date/time. They cannot leave a resupply package in a bear box, as that would be considered a food cache (not allowed).

Here’s their contact info:

Sequoia Kings Pack Trains
    Brian and Danica Berner
    800-962-0775
    [email protected]<script cf-hash=”f9e31″ type=”text/javascript”>
    /* <![CDATA[ */!function(){try{var t=”currentScript”in document?document.currentScript:function(){for(var t=document.getElementsByTagName(“script”),e=t.length;e–;)if(t[e].getAttribute(“cf-hash”))return t[e]}();if(t&&t.previousSibling){var e,r,n,i,c=t.previousSibling,a=c.getAttribute(“data-cfemail”);if(a){for(e=””,r=parseInt(a.substr(0,2),16),n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)i=parseInt(a.substr(n,2),16)^r,e+=String.fromCharCode(i);e=document.createTextNode(e),c.parentNode.replaceChild(e,c)}}}catch(u){}}();/* ]]> */</script>

Next time I thru-hike the JMT, I’m definitely going to utilize a pack train for a resupply here. 😉

Does this mean you have to hike out over a pass or do they bring it to the back country. I’m hiking the JMT this July and this is the last bit I need to figure out.

Pete Butler
    Participant

We are re supplying in Independence (via Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley). From JMT Kearsarge Pass is about 2.5 miles, then 4.5 miles down to Onion Valley. We are using the “complete re supply package” offered by the Mt. Williamson Motel. They pick you up at the Onion Valley trailhead and then drop you off the next day. Package also includes 1 night lodging, storing your re supply buckets, laundry, breakfast. All info can be found at Mt. Williamson Motel website (Independence, CA.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.