Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Rescued Hikers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dean D
    Participant

I was shocked to hear of a rescue on Mt. Baldy of two hikers yesterday. Reports said they were experienced and had the right equipment. Anyone know if they were from this community? Either way, be safe and smart out there SoCal Hikers!!!

Audra B
    Participant

Interesting. Something must have gone medically wrong as Mt. Baldy is a great hike, but conditions aren’t so that experienced hikers would have any issues with. Was this on the news? Please share what happened and thier condition, (prayers all ok for them) once you know. Thank you.

Audra B
    Participant

Here’s the news story:

http://ktla.com/2017/01/26/it-could-have-been-a-body-recovery-battalion-chief-says-of-rescue-of-2-hikers-injured-in-mount-baldy-avalanche/

Conditions are obviously worse than I had imagined given all the recent snow. Fortunately, the injuries are described as mild to moderate and they are expected to be ok.

Dean D
    Participant

OMG!! Thank you for posting this article. I “know” one of the victims! We live in the same area and members of another fitness group on FaceBook together. I recognized his name immediately.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Yes, Cody Ayala was part of last year’s Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge. I’ve seen some pics of him in the hospital, and it looks like he’s going to be okay.

I don’t know Chris Chung or the unidentified third hiker who hiked down on their own. I did see Chris walk off the helicopter with a limp, but it was encouraging that he was walking!

This is sobering reminder that even with the right gear and know-how, the mountains can be unpredictable. Be safe!

Louis
    Participant

I am the third hiker who walked out with their packs strapped to mine and drove myself to the hospital to get stitches. All I can say is that Thursday January 26th was a good reminder how powerful mother nature and her mountains can be. I will be Signing up for an avalanche course up north soon. See y’all on the mountains.

Audra B
    Participant

Good Reminder indeed. So glad you were able to be of help to the other hikers and walk away! Hopefully your stitches are healing quickly, thank God it was not worse than that! Anyone know how the other two hikers are?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.