Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Recommendations for backpacking this weekend-Wilson or San Bernardino??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    barbcatlin
    Participant

Hi all,

My friend and I are going on a 2 night, 3 day backpack trip and want some recommendations. We have packed the trans-Catalina, done Whitney and Half-Dome, and our favorite is San Jacinto. We have day hiked Baldy and Rancho Cucamonga too.

Any favs or recommendations between choosing San Bernardino or Mt. Wilson? Or something else? I’ve been checking out Baden Powell too. Gorgonio seems too complicated due to less maintained trails, but maybe?

This is our first trip out this summer.

Thanks!
    Barb and Sandi (SOS)
    PS Hoping to complete our 6 pack -we started it last summer!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

In the heatwave, I would opt for the higher elevations of either San Bernardino Peak (camping at Limber Pine) or San Gorgonio (camping at High Creek). The issue with both of these is getting permits.

You can get details on permit availability and instructions for how to apply for a permit here on the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association website.

barbcatlin
    Participant

Thanks, Jeff! I was out yesterday and today on my normal in-town hikes (up in the Santa Monica’s) and it was brutal. I had to wait until 7pm tonight for it to drop below 100. I definitely want to get up higher and cooler.

Our back up plan is San Jacinto – cool and easy to get a permit. We love Round Valley campground, although might try Little Round campground or Strawberry Junction.

Thanks for all the advice. Sandi and I have used your guidance for every hike we’ve done. I hope we can actually meet you in 3-D someday!

I’ll let you know what we do and will post pics when we get back.
    Barb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.