Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Preferred Hiking Apps?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Natalie C
    Participant

Strava was suggested to me as great way to log hikes however it looks like it’s much more suited to runners and cyclists. I’ve used AllTrails before and I’m thinking about MapMyHike. Any feedback or suggestions of your favorites from you all would be great!

Natalie.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

My personal favorite is GaiaGPS. It’s not free, but it allows you to create map “layers” which can be very handy. Basically it lets you choose and overlay road maps, topo maps (from various sources) and others. But the real benefit is being able to download maps for offline use. This is essential because many of the areas in the mountains you won’t have a cell connection, but with the maps already downloaded, you can still navigate.

I use GaiaGPS to track all the hikes here for SoCalHiker.net, and you can also download my GPX files for each of our trail guides and use them with GaiaGPS.

I also use it in conjunction with CalTopo.com when I’m planning a trip to an area I haven’t hiked before. I can “trace” the route I’m planning and export the resulting data to a GPX file for use with GaiaGPS. This was super helpful when I was backpacking the 272-mile Theodore Solomons Trail, for example.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.