Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks No Injuries or incidents at the Climb For Heroes this year?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A
    Participant

We started out before most of the hikers took off for the Climb for Heroes event this year because we wanted to avoid a lot of the traffic that we knew would be on this hike. I was amazed and grateful about how polite and courteous the majority of the hikers were. There were a few ‘hot rods’ that wanted to buzz by us. Not easy to do, nor smart on a single track, especially the Devil’s Backbone. This increases the possibility of accidents on the hike. I do hope that no one got hurt last Sunday. I’d be interested in finding out if there were, and also what some of your experiences were, good or bad. I had a great time. I hope everyone else did as well. 🙂

Attachments:
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Richard!

Looks like you had a great time. It was crowded, but overall I thought the volunteers and organizers did a great job of managing the event. The one main bottleneck was the section across the scree on Devil’s Backbone (where they had setup a rope). They had volunteers with radios directing traffic and working to minimize the “crossing” traffic in that pinch point.

As far as I know, there were no accidents or mishaps. There were of course people who felt the impact of elevation or sun exposure, but nothing related to the crowd.

I heard they had about 1,500 hikers on the mountain. Considering that, it went quite well! Another SoCal hiker reported that they hiked the route on the next day after the Climb for Heroes and didn’t see one trace of trash. That’s awesome!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.