Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Mt. Wilson in the Rain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    April
    Participant

Planning on hiking Mt Wilson this Sat. I have done it many times before but not in the rain. Any thoughts on safety of the trail during and after a rainstorm? We were going up Chantry and coming down the Mt Wilson Trail.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

April – just a couple of thoughts.

It’s a pretty well-maintained and easy-to-follow trail, but there can be washouts — areas where a gully washes out a portion of the trail. And the creek itself can swell. I know some areas on the way up you may encounter sections where the trail seems more like a little creek (in a downpour). But as long as you are prepared for cold, wet weather and use common sense, you should be fine.

I would carry trekking poles, and the Ten Essentials (especially rain gear and warm layers).

You may encounter some snow and ice. If you have microspikes or Yak-trax, I’d bring them along.

Finally, those two trailheads are miles apart. Are you planning to shuttle?

April
    Participant

We have hiked both ways many times so I am prepared for the creek and yes we are shuttling. I felt good about it but I wasn’t sure if I was nuts so I appriciate the feedback. I will prob avoid winter creek lower trail because of the rain but the upper to Manzanita Ridge should be good I think. Have poles and 10 plus essentials. =) Thanks for the advice I have been thinking about spikes and it might be time to get some.

Marissa A
    Participant

Hi April! I heard through the grapevine that Chantry Flats Trailhead was closed right now for some reason. Do you know anything about this? I was planning this hike for this weekend as well. Thanks!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi April! I heard through the grapevine that Chantry Flats Trailhead was closed right now for some reason. Do you know anything about this? I was planning this hike for this weekend as well. Thanks!

It was closed, but reopened Thursday night (1/7). Yay!

Marissa A
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks much, Jeff!

Tyler D
    Participant

I plan on going tomorrow as well, glad to hear the road opened. See ya’ll out there!

sarah
    Participant

How did the hike go? My husband and I are heading to Wilson 1/23.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.