Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Mt. Baldy June 10th

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kelli R
    Participant

*FYI we have a group of 12 people already going*

Hiking: Mt. Baldy (San Antonio Mountain)
    Distance: 11’ish Miles Roundtrip
    Elevation: 10,064 ft (1,202 ft higher than Cucamonga Peak)
    Elevation Gain: 4300 ft. (same elevation gain like Cucamonga Peak)
    Difficulty level: Challenging
    Estimated Time to Complete: ~7 +/- hours (could be more, depending how long we stay at the top)
    Weather Conditions: Cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon (windy and chill at the top) dress accordingly. Will update the weather conditions 2 days before the hike.

What to bring:
    At least a gallon of water, (+ Gatorade & electrolytes), lunch, snacks, beer for the celebration at the top, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, hiking boots or shoes with good traction, daypack, hiking poles/sticks (if you have them or need them), shorts and a T-shirt (sleeved shirt). Clothes should be loose fitting, and light-colors are preferable. The terrain on the hike if pretty decent, we’ll have some areas with severe inclination on our way up, easy fire road on our way down ….. And the most important thing of course, be willing to enjoy nature and bring your awesome sense of humor, we all want to enjoy the hike and have a good time, so don’t forget this…

Note: if you never been to an elevation like this one, please keep in mind that your body will react to that and you could feel a bit dizzy and short of breath, that is totally normal, if you starting to get a headache that can be for two reasons, either you are hangover or the altitude is affecting you, just in case avoid alcohol at least 48hrs before the hike, have plenty of electrolytes 24 hrs before the hike (not necessary but won’t hurt you), and why not, bring some Dramamine just in case. Ginger candy is also useful.

Game Plan:
    Meet Up at 6:45 am at the parking lot.

If you need to carpool with a group, below is a good spot to meet and park:
    Vons (there is a Starbucks inside the store)
    550 East Baseline Road
    Claremont, CA 91711
    Claremont Heights Shopping Center

If you are carpooling from there to the Mt. Baldy Trailhead, right after Manker Flats campground, and park there, takes about 30 min,

Hopefully we can start the hike at 6:55 am sharp. Mt. Baldy is an extremely popular hike in the LA area, parking can be a pain, so let’s try to be there as early as possible. Don’t forget a Forest Adventure Day Pass ($5 at any Big 5, or REI stores).

That’s it for now; let me know if you have any questions

Murthy M
    Participant

Hi Kelli,

I know it’s last minute, but just wondering if there was any more room to join the group for tomorrow’s Baldy hike? I am visiting family in San Pedro. Did Cucamonga last year and would love to attempt Baldy. No worries if full, just let me know either way.

Thanks

Kelli R
    Participant

Hello Murthy,

I am not sure if there is room for carpooling, but if you want to meet up with us at where the trail begins that could work. We are going to start hiking no later than 6:55am. It will be about 12 of us going. It’s going to most likely be super busy that morning. I suggest getting to the parking lot early. The other main person that is the head of the group is Luis.

Murthy M
    Participant

Hi Kelli,
    Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately my flight got in later than I expected. Don’t think I’ll be able to join you guys today. Will have to try to join a group tomorrow. Hope your hike goes well!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.