Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Mount Gorgonio

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Charles W
    Participant

Greetings,

I am planning on finishing my challenge with Mt Gorgonio on Thursday. I am not the fastest hiker, in fact, by most standards I’m pretty slow. It took me 12 hours including 45 minutes or so at the peak to hike San Bernardino. With that said, can I assume this hike with be 14 hours? I’m debating if I should backpack it or day hike it. Any insight would appreciated.

Charles

Philip Y
    Participant

Hey Charles,

When we did Gorgonio, we did it in basically 3 speed groups. The fast group was up and down in about 8 hours or less. The moderate group was about 10 hours. And, our slow group took about 12 hours. Fourteen seems a bit long for me. I recommend if you do the day hike, start before sun up and wear a head lamp. I always prefer hiking in the dark during the morning time when I have fresh legs and a fresh mind. I haven’t done any over night hikes, so I have no advice for that.

Phil

Charles W
    Participant

Thanks Phil. I think I will start before sunrise to give me more time.

Charles

Yep, I do the same thing — start early. On long hikes like this, I like to bring extra layers in case I end up spending a night up there (knock on wood).

Perry T
    Participant

I think you can do it in 12-14 and I go at a slower pace.
    I did this this past Saturday.
    Bring something warm cause it is very cold and windy up there. I recommend gloves too.
    Watch for the sign coming down from the summit! I missed it and I ended up hiking an additional 6 miles! It was not fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.