Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Locations to meet family along JMT?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Jones
    Participant

I am planning a thru North to South hike of the JMT next summer. My wife and younger kids are planning to car camp while my oldest son and I backpack. Does anyone know of places near and accessible to the trail where I can hook up with them along the way? I have looked up information regarding the resupply points and am interested if anyone has used these places for such a purpose and if there are additional locations we could plan on. We planned a similar routine this past summer along the first 400 miles (S to N) of the AT and were able to hook up every 4 or 5 days. Just wondering if we’ll be able to do it on the JMT. Thanks!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Patrick,

Great question! Here are the places where you can drive up and camp NEAR the JMT. These are also popular resupply points, so you’ll probably use one of more them anyway.

Tuolumne Meadows – Yeah, if you’re starting from Yosemite Valley you’ll likely reach this on your third day, but take advantage of it.

Reds Meadow – On the backside of Mammoth Lakes lies Reds Meadow. There is a campground in this valley near Devil’s Postpile National Momument, but they will need reservations. Otherwise they will have to ride the shuttle in from Mammoth.

Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) – This can be accessed from the west side of the sierras at Lake Thomas Edison. The big problem here is that you have to travel quite a ways off the JMT to reach this. In normal rainfall years, there is a ferry that you can take from one end of the lake to the other (well worth it IMO), but right now that lake is very dry and very low. Unless things change dramatically this spring, don’t count on the ferry. Still, this is an option.

Muir Trail Ranch – This is another popular resupply point, but it is not driveable. They would have to hike in to reach this spot. Some friends of mine did this on my first JMT trek.

That’s it. Not a lot of options. On the bright side, that means you’re in some pretty amazing wilderness (i.e. no roads). Have a great hike, and let me know if you have more questions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.