Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question JMT Permit Process

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick Bergstrom
    Participant

Hi Jeff,
    my wife and I are planning to thru-hike the JMT this August, starting in Yosemite.
    We are TOTALLY flexible as to start date, and to a lesser degree, trailhead.
    On the permit form, one is given three choices…entry date and trailhead.
    If we submit one application with, say, our first choice being Happy Isles and 8/5, our second choice same trailhead but entry date 8/6, and third choice 8/7, would this work, given the stipulation that one cannot submit the application until Feb. 18 for the 8/5 entry date, Feb. 19 for the 8/6 entry date, and so forth?
    Or, would it be better to submit one application with the same entry date, but apply for three different trailheads on that date? Then, submit another application for the next day with the same choice of trailhead, etc.?
    Was thinking that since Happy Isles to LYV is ALWAYS sold out, perhaps Glacier Point to Illiouette Basin the first day, then to LYV the second day, then out to points beyond.
    With total flexible schedule schedules, what is the best chance of getting a permit, besides getting to Yosemite a week early and waiting in a line every morning at 3 AM?
    Thanks,
    RB

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Rick, welcome to SoCal Hiker!

The permit process can be confusing, and it is a bit of a moving target as the rules can change from year to year. But this much I can tell you…

When you fax in your permit application, do NOT send it in the same trailhead entry and different start dates. As stated on the Yosemite Wilderness Permit Window page:

You may fax your request beginning at 5 pm Pacific time a day prior to the date
    listed below (you can change the clock to the right to Pacific time to see what time it is here). If you fax your request by 7:30 am on the day below, your request will be included in the daily lottery. (For weekend reservation dates, you can fax beginning 5 pm on Friday.)

If you specify alternate dates for your second and third choices, you’ll be submitting ahead of time, which automatically disqualifies you for those dates (on that application). Why? Who knows!? It’s just the way they do it.

Instead, put your first, second, third choice for the SAME entry date on your request. You will hear back from them one way or the other within the day.

When I submitted my application, I originally submitted for a Monday start, but I didn’t win the lottery (they draw applications at random from those received between 5pm and 7am). I was notified that afternoon, and was able to fax a new application for a Tuesday start, which I got!

Generally speaking, you’ll have less competition for mid-week starts well away from holidays, although permit applications overall are way up the past few years.

Being flexible helps a LOT, and getting a walk-in permit is a strong possibility if you’re willing to do it. I know some people who ONLY do walk-in permits. I couldn’t do that personally, due to my work schedule, but it’s probably the best option if you’ve got flexibility.

Have an awesome trip!

Rick Bergstrom
    Participant

Thanks Jeff!
    When we hiked the Wonderland Trail two years ago we just submitted the application and had a one week window for our start date; fairly simple and we got one of those dates with our exact itinerary. But that’s another story!
    We are going to be out of the country the dates we need to submit the applications; given your advice, we will have the permits all filled out and in the hands of a trustworthy friend with a fax machine ready to submit another application if needed.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.