Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions Introduce Yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

One of the great things about hiking is the wonderful people I’ve met on the trail. Generally speaking, hikers are a good bunch. Since you’re here now, you are a SoCal Hiker.

Introduce yourself!

What part of Southern California are you from?
    How long have you been hiking?
    What is your favorite SoCal hiking trail?

And anything else you’d like to add.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I’ll start…

My name is Jeff and I run the show here at SoCal Hiker. I was born here in Southern California (Monterey Park). I started hiking when I was in the Boy Scouts growing up in Indiana, but fell in love with the mountains when we returned to California. I was 16, and took my first trip to the Sierras. I was hooked.

I have lived all around Orange County, but for the past year have lived smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles, and I’m really enjoying exploring the trails up here.

I’ve thru-hiked the JMT… twice. I’ve hiked and documented the Trans-Catalina Trail and I’m currently preparing to thru-hike the Backbone Trail through the Santa Monica Mountains.

My favorite SoCal trail? I have a soft spot in my heart for what I call Roller Coast Ridge in south Orange County.

Lindsey Sommer

I’ll be the follow-up!

My name is Lindsey, and I’ve been sneakily following the SoCal Hiker page since I moved to LA last September for graduate school. I am in fact NOT from Soca! I grew up on the northern California coast in a tiny town called Fort Bragg, basically living and playing in the coastal redwood forests there.

I’ve been backpacking ever since I can remember (my parents are decidedly NOT outdoorsy, so I started backpacking/hiking/skiing with the families of my friends very early in life).

I don’t have a ton of time to explore right now, but when I’m really stressed, I hike up to Eagle Rock in Topanga Canyon State Park. So, if there is an tired and exasperated grad student sitting on the eagle’s head, it’s probably ME.

Other random things: I worked for Yosemite for the entire summer and lived in the park (but, then it caught fire). Also, I’m planning a JMT thru-hike this summer after I finish grad school.

Andy

Hey, I’m Andy Hawbaker. I live in Northern Colorado and hike, backpack and explore as much as possible. When I’m not on the trail I share my experiences as the manager of the Sierra Trading Post’s Sierra Social Hub.

I hiked the John Muir Trail from Toulomne Meadows to Whitney this summer. It was a blast. I hope to come back to California for more hiking in the future.

Cheers.

Andy

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

My name is Lindsey, and I’ve been sneakily following the SoCal Hiker page since I moved to LA last September for graduate school. I am in fact NOT from Soca! I grew up on the northern California coast in a tiny town called Fort Bragg, basically living and playing in the coastal redwood forests there.

Welcome, Lindsey! Glad to have you here. Hiking the JMT is a great experience. I met a guy who was on his 12th JMT thru-hike. He said he had to keep coming back.

Hey, I’m Andy Hawbaker. I live in Northern Colorado and hike, backpack and explore as much as possible. When I’m not on the trail I share my experiences as the manager of the Sierra Trading Post’s Sierra Social Hub.

Hey Andy! Good to see you here. The Sierra Trading Post’s Social Hub has been a inspirational favorite of mine. I love the tie-in with the weekly #STPLive tweet chats.

Traci
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m Traci and I live in south Orange County (almost my entire life). I am an Orange County, CA native and who knows if I’ll die living here or not. 🙂 I love to walk, hike, and spend time outdoors. At this stage in my life I’m busy juggling a full-time job and full-time home life with two awesome kids, BUT with a busy life comes the NEED to get away and spend it in nature. So I do that whenever I can (even if I have to break it up into little pockets of outdoorsy goodness each day). Jeff, as always, love your site here. And I hear you about Roller Coaster Ridge as that is my go to sunrise hike. Funny how we were so close, but I could never make it to your sunset hikes.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome, Traci! Thanks for introducing yourself. I still hike down there on occasion.

You’re very fortunate. South OC is a great place to enjoy the outdoors.

Oshie M
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m Oshie. Former resident of east Hollywood area now holed up in San Gabriel Valley. I’m a classic weekend warrior, holding a regular M-F job – weekends are cherished. I hike, camp, backpack as much as I could.. extreme preference to backpacking. Learned to ride my bike late in life (just 2 years ago! I’m in my mid-30’s) but glad I still did it.

Sam Merrill trail to Inspiration Point in Altadena has been my go-to trail. I like it up there, having lunch staring down at big L.A. county.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi everyone! I’m Oshie. Former resident of east Hollywood area now holed up in San Gabriel Valley. I’m a classic weekend warrior, holding a regular M-F job – weekends are cherished. I hike, camp, backpack as much as I could.. extreme preference to backpacking. Learned to ride my bike late in life (just 2 years ago! I’m in my mid-30′s) but glad I still did it.

Sam Merrill trail to Inspiration Point in Altadena has been my go-to trail. I like it up there, having lunch staring down at big L.A. county.

Hey Oshie! Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the SoCal Hiker community!

I was just up on the Sam Merrill trail yesterday. Went all the way to Muir Peak. Love that trail. It’s got some great views, especially at sunset.

Dani Owen
    Participant

Hi all! My name is Dani and I live in Houston, Texas. I have been a water rat and a lover of fresh air forever. I have also always enjoyed hiking, but it wasn’t until some time in the past year that I completely fell in love with it and now it is all I want to do. My boyfriend and I are getting ready to hike the JMT in July 2014. I am both nervous and so excited!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi all! My name is Dani and I live in Houston, Texas. I have been a water rat and a lover of fresh air forever. I have also always enjoyed hiking, but it wasn’t until some time in the past year that I completely fell in love with it and now it is all I want to do. My boyfriend and I are getting ready to hike the JMT in July 2014. I am both nervous and so excited!

Greetings, Dani! Awesome to hear you’re hiking the JMT this summer. Let me know if you’ve got any questions.

David Slater
    Participant

David here to say hello.

My first purchase from a high school job in 1976 was a Sierra Designs sleeping bag.
    Just got the zipper replaced. Going to be so cozy above timberline!

My Sierra maps have collected numerous trips lined from long ago. Going to be even more magical this time connecting them. Hope to catch a few more fish.

I’ve slotted almost all of September to be above 8,000 feet, from Tuolumne to Cresent Meadows, solo

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

David, welcome to SoCalHiker! Your September sounds EPIC! I know the word is overused, but anytime you can spend the better part of a month in the Sierras is, well, epic.

I’m sure you’ll have more than a few stories to tell when you return. Look forward to hearing them all.

Until then, join in the conversation.

Jeffrey Poulin
    Participant

Hi everyone! My name is Jeff Poulin. I have always loved hiking and the outdoors, grew up camping and fishing with my old man. Unfortunately as I grew up I grew apart from the outdoors.

I have since renewed my vows so to speak with Mother Nature and am back at it! I have done the bridge to nowhere twice and me and my wife have done Echo Mointain via Sam Merril.

Can’t wait to keep pushing and go for my first multi-day soon!

Maybe I’ll see some of you out on the trail!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome to SoCalHiker, Jeff P! Sounds like you’ve rediscovered your mountain mojo!

Echo Mountain is a great hike to build strength and stamina. I’m working on a more multi-day trips (most that can be done over a weekend) so stick around and see what’s coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.