Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions Introduce Yourself: Nate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nate F
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I’m Nate. I live in Burbank but grew up in Portland, OR. Growing up, I did some small hikes and camping with the family. But it wasn’t until I got to Burbank and looked up at the humble Verdugo Mountains that I somehow got the bug to hike. I work a few blocks from Griffith Park so I frequent those trails on my lunch hour.

My biggest hiking adventures have originated from Mammoth. I’ve twice done a section of the JMT between Devils Postpile and Tuolomne Meadows. I’ve also done some day hikes out of Mammoth to places like Duck Lake.

I’ve got small kids now so I’m trying to instill in them a love for the trail but little legs and long distances don’t always get along.

Looking forward to exploring the area with you all!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome, Nate!

My “kids” are grown now (heck, one has kids of their own!) but I’ve been where you are. I know that for me, some of my fondest memories growing up are camping. We would go car camping, but then hike and explore the nearby trails, creeks and woods.

I discovered backpacking as a teenager after we moved back to California, and the rest is history.

I think if you give your kids opportunities to explore, they’ll discover a sense of adventure on their own. When my two sones were teenagers one of our favorite backpacking areas was out of Mammoth. The Minarets make an inspiring backdrop. My daughter, on the other hand, was into ballet and preferred hotels over tents. It took here a while, but she found her spirit for adventure: https://socalhiker.net//user/bethany/?profiletab=posts

Sam H
    Participant

I grew up in Sun Valley on the other side of the airport from you, back when the airport was called the Lockheed airport (air terminal or something like that). I was there when they began building homes in the Lanark area. I never made it to the top of the Verdugos, there have been no trespassing signs for years. So I am not sure what is on top.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.