Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions Introduce Yourself: Jose

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JOSE B
    Participant

Hello hikers, my name is Jose, originally from San Salvador, El Salvador but living in L.A. for the last 36 years. Last year I did Half Dome and some overnight hikes on the Sequoias but nothing really serious; this year I wanted to do Mount Whitney, but was not sure I could do it due to lack of preparation, and because at age 55 my knees are not in their best condition.
    I found your website about 3 months back and reading about the six Pack of Picks got me motivated to give it a try and see if I am really capable of doing Whitney. So far I did Mount Wilson 3 times , and Cucamonga 2 times; next I will try Baldy on 05/21.
    I hope to see you all on the trails

Attachments:
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome to SoCalHiker, Jose! Sounds like you’ve been doing some great hikes and well on your way to preparing for Whitney.

My knees complain to me sometimes after a long hike, too. 😉

JOSE B
    Participant

Thank you Jeff for creating this site to show us all the beautiful great places to hike close to L.A. it has encouraged me to get back in shape

Sam H
    Participant

Mount Baldy from the village is good conditioning for Mount Whitney. If you can do Mount Baldy from the village then you can do Mount Whitney. I never made it to the top of Mount Whitney because I was running out of daylight and I did not have a flashlight.

JOSE B
    Participant

Well Sam let me tell you; July and August 2016 kept me busy hiking a few mountains.
    I did Gorgonio first week of July and then I went on a one day hike to Mount Wihtney on July 13th; I did ok on Wihtney and summited but wanted to do it again so I went back for an overnight hike in August; second time got sick and did not summit; I plan on going back to Wihtney on October 11th for another overnight hike; I have also repeated going to Baldy and Gorgonio; Things have changed on September because I got the flu so I stopped hiking; I am hoping on getting better to start training again for my next Wihtney hike on October

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.