Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Backpacking Idea for backpacking destinations for Thanksgiving week

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Li
    Participant

I have done the Rim2Rim last Thanks and Catalina island the year before.
    Looking for something that’s less than a day drive from Los Angeles where I can do a 3-4 days backing trip?

Thanks a advance.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

This would be a perfect time to do the Backbone Trail through the Santa Monica Mountains. This has been on my to-hike list for a long time.

The trail is technically complete and you CAN hike the entire thing. But there are some problems. First, there are not established campgrounds along most of the route. Second, there are not regular water sources. So you’d have to cache water (frowned on) and either camp illegally (also frowned on) or have some support to meet you at road crossings and take you to camp each night (logistical issue, but not impossible). If we could get a group who would love to camp and hang out during the day, that could work.

Other options? November is tricky because as you get into the mountains, the weather is very unpredictable. If you’re cool with potentially cold temps and even snow, it would be fun to do a loop out of Idyllwild. You can do some of the PCT, bag a peak or two, and (depending on the weather) do a little snowshoeing. El Niño might dump some of the white stuff on us this year (fingers crossed).

Having mentioned the PCT — if you’re willing to shuttle, you could do a section hike on the PCT. Many of the hot sections would be ideal in November — maybe even pleasant.

Kevin Li
    Participant

Thanks Jeff,

One other trail I’m thinking is Zion NP west rim, its bit shorter like 2-3 days.
    Have you or anyone on the forum done this trail or something similar in that region?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.