Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Philip Y
    Participant

Yesterday, I set out to hike the Icehouse Canyon Trail. My goal was to hike as far as I could without using special equipment. I.e. Micro spikes, Crampons, etc. I made it to Icehouse Saddle without any issues. Looking past the saddle from the Cucamonga Trailhead, it was obvious that special equipment would be necessary. I probably could have gone on using my Micro spikes, but I am guessing that I would have had to use other equipment after a mile or so. So, instead of bagging Cucamonga, my friends (met on the trail and hike together) and I decided to bag Timber Mtn Peak instead. It was a great day! I’ll get Cucamonga another day. In fact my next hike in that area, sometime next week, I plan to start off at Icehouse Canyon and then hit the Chapman trail to the saddle and back. Not sure which day yet, but if anyone is interested in a good challenging hike (other that the peak) let me know. Enjoy!

Philip Y
    Participant

I planned to go back to Icehouse Canyon next Monday and attempt Cucamonga Peak again. However, weather reports tell me that the conditions will be coldest for the week and that there may be a dusting of snow. So, I am rethinking my idea. The two warmest days of the week are this coming Thursday and Friday. I am contemplating going back up on Friday instead of Monday. Is any one interested in attempting the peak on Friday? It would be great to have some company.

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

Hello, I hiked Mt. San Antonio on Monday, March 21st. All of the trail on the NE side between the ski hut and the Baldy Bowl was covered in snow. We used microspikes and met a few other hikers that were carrying ice picks. The majority of the Cucamonga Peak trail faces north. A great deal of that trail will also be snow covered and require snow gear. Please, be cautious if you decide to hike the Baldy area. After some difficulty with Monday’s hike we have decided to wait before tackling Cucamonga Peak. Would love to join you if you decide to hike Cucamonga at a later date though. Happy trails to you, stay safe!!!

Philip Y
    Participant

Hi Carisa, great information. I don’t think I’ll be going to Cucamonga’s Peak until most of the snow and ice are gone. I am going up to Icehouse Canyon again tomorrow. I plan to take the Chapman Trail on my way to the saddle and then turn back. Have you hiked the Chapman Trail? If so, any tips? Next Sunday, I am taking part in the Climb for Heroes fundraiser on Mt Baldy. Hopefully, I can get to the peak, but I don’t plan to push the issue if the conditions aren’t great. This coming Thursday, I am going to Idylwild to hike the Devil’s Slide Trail. One last hike before Sunday. I be happy to hike Cucamonga with you. The more experience people I hike with the better off I will be! 🙂 Eventually, I want to hike in snow and ice, but I need to get the right equipment and learn how. Thanks again!

Carisa Hernandez
    Participant

Hi Phillip, did you end up hiking Ice House last week? We are contemplating attempting Cucamonga tomorrow but we are curious about the snow levels. How was the Baldy hike? Hope you are enjoying some great hikes!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Carisa, we had a few Challengers who did Cucamonga this past weekend. They reported that crampons and ice axe were mandatory. Even with crampons, one of the party slipped and was fortunately able to self-arrest — only sliding a short distance.

Still lots of ice-crusted snow on the north-facing slopes in particular.

And I heard a rumor that we might be getting a bit more snow this coming weekend!

Tyler Whitcomb
    Participant

I hiked up to icehouse saddle today. I hiked maybe 400 yards up the trail to cucamonga and found snow I continued on for about 3/4 of a mile before turning back because of snow on the trail. The trail would be easily accomplished if one had micro spikes and wasn’t hiking with a dog. Ended up summiting timber mt. and telegraph pk.

Joel
    Participant

Any new updates on Cucamonga Mountain? I have a group hike heading up at the end of the month and want to make sure the conditions are good.

Gregory
    Participant

I went up today (May 22) and there was zero snow and decently warm temps the whole way up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.