Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question How long did it take you to hike San Bernardino Peak from Angelus Oaks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BGEObiz
    Participant

I need y’alls advice! How long did it take you to hike to the peak? I’m a SLOW to AVRG pace and this is my 4th peak in 5 weeks. Is starting with a headlamp safe stepping if before sunrise?

THANKS in advance for your help.

G

Philip Y
    Participant

BGEObiz,

Good morning! Last June (2016) I hiked San Bernardino Peak with a friend. We hiked at a moderate pace and took 7hrs 30mins to get up and down. About a 2 mile an hour pace.

Phil

R W
    Participant

Hi G!

I did San Bernardino a week and a half ago and it took about 8-9 hrs to do the 16.5 mi. 5 hours to go up; 3-3.5 to go down as weather had moved in over San Gorgonio and was thundering like crazy. The trail is sandy dirt with few rocks and a manageable but steady incline the entire way up to the peak. You should be fine starting in the dark, though we started at 6 am at first light and were back at the car 3ish (after reporting a pregnant aggressive mama rattler to the ranger first). We did see a coyote near the trailhead as we were heading out.

Going up, I went what felt like painfully slow as I was cautious cause of the elevation, and I took mini breaks every 500 ft gain over 8500 ft. But going down we went fast cause of the weather and fact the upper 2/3 of the mtn you are very exposed – just scrub manzanita and some scattered dead pine trees. Not a good place with thunder nearby! That storm blew out of nowhere, so keep an eye to the sky if it is a monsoon day and do your best to summit by late morning.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Starting out with a headlamp is fine, but be sure you know how to find the trailhead. The unpaved road to the trail isn’t very long, but it’s tricky to find. As long as you can do that, the first few miles of the trail are really easy to follow (i.e. no problem with a headlamp).

shuping y
    Participant

Hi G
    in my opinion San Bernardino is harder than San Jacinto via the tramway. I hiked San Bernardino in April when the trails still covered in snow. finding the trail is difficulty. As Jeff advise, make sure you can find the trail. you can pre-download the course to your phone using gaigps. i found that to be helpful to me. you don’t need signal to navigate using the app. but it should not be your only choice. should always have a map and compass. good luck. out there. definitely start early. if you are slow hiker, start the hike at 5:30am to 6:00am should get you back before dark.

Jazmin O
    Participant

I hiked it on Sunday and it took me about 8 hours roundtrip. I started after sunrise around 6:20am and was back to my car before 4pm. I didn’t spend more than 20 minutes at the summit and not many breaks. But if you start before sunrise with a headlamp that should give you ample time to finish. If not, you’ll have the headlamp ready! 🙂

Regarding the signage, it’s improved over last year. Once you get on the frontage road by the fire station, there are signs pointing to the trail and you should be able to find it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.